• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How does Chromecast know your location?

Daniel Fernandes

Android Enthusiast
So the weather my Chromecast shows doesn't seem to be that of my location. The temperature it shows is quite higher than what it actually is here. My best guess is that it uses the IP address to know my location. My IP address shows a place that is way too far from where I am. Is there a way to let the Chromecast know where I actually am? Like, by using the GPS in my phone?

Yes, but it utilizes Google Play Services to pin point your location on your phone and updates automatically when your chromecast connects to the internet and isnt reliant on your phone anymore

Oh, so do you think this could be because I've disabled Google's Location History?

But thanks! Knowing that it uses Google Play Services, there are things I can try. I'll post updates if I can get it to work! :)

Yeah, the time isn't necessarily tied to your Chromecast's exact location, whatever time you're seeing on your TV screen is just from whatever signal your Chromecast is being supplied to it. If you look at the Google Home app on the mobile device used to set up/manage your Chromecast you'll see a scaled down duplicate image of your TV's screen. It's that Home app that determines what's showing as a backdrop, Google is currently referring to that as 'Ambient Mode' so there's different options in there to mess with, along with App Settings, Account Settings, and Device Settings all buried in different areas of that Home app. (The Home app is being groomed as a multifaceted, central control point for numerous Google services so a lot of that stuff relates to other things.)
Anyway, it's that Device Settings menu you should look into, there are options there for Time Zone and Time Format to look into.

Back
Top Bottom