• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How long will Android security updates be supported?

bdclary

Title asks the question: How long as Samsung committed to providing Android security updates for the S5?

Currently, I don't think there are any phones worth upgrading to from the S5 (taking into account price), but security is very important to me, so I'm curious as to how long I can expect my S5 to receive security updates.

Thanks,
Brian

The Galaxy S4, i9505, a year older than the S5, is still receiving Google Security updates on Android 5.0.1 whereas the S3, i9300, has not had one since May 2016.

The Galaxy S4, i9505, a year older than the S5, is still receiving Google Security updates on Android 5.0.1 whereas the S3, i9300, has not had one since May 2016.

Thanks! I'm on AT&T, so should I go by the update timeline for the Galaxy S4 I337 (released April 2013) for which the most recent update is December 2015? If so, that's roughly two and a half years of support. Applying that to the S5 (released in Feb 2015), would mean end of support any day now.

Or do you think the time frame for security update support would be longer for the S5 than the S4 on AT&T?

Thanks again

Back
Top Bottom