• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help How much Ram do you have...now ?

LateNiteMike

I did a search under 'Ram' but it came up with nothing and that kinda surprises me. I thought there would already be a discussion on Ram on the SGS...but it seems there isn't.

I've had my SGS (International version) for about a month now and I really didn't notice how much ram I had when I first fired it up. I know the specs say 512 but then some is used immediately by the OS.
Why I'm concerned is because I've noticed I had some recent readings that showed anywhere from 242/326 to 271/326 (MB).
It would seem to me that 55 to 84 MB of 512..is not a lot left over. :eek:
Should I be concerned ? :confused:

I'm now starting to wonder if this is 'normal'. What is 'normal' ?
How about you other SGS users out there. What kind of readings are you getting ?

You should be able to get about 100 MB of free space if you kill some of the idle tasks, but 80MB is acceptable.

anyway, 2.1 doesn't use all the RAM available. You will get slightly more ram when 2.2 is finally out. (which shouldn't be too long)

Interesting question.

I've been checking on the amount of free memory I have left for some time now and I must say that most often it's around 35M.

Again, is this "normal"? I don't know.

But I also noticed there was no straightforward relation between free memory available and lag feeling.

I read somewhere that android puts the frequently used applications in the ram cache when you boot your device so the applications start faster

but anyway , am using AutoKiller (no it's not a task killer it's safe) so it makes sure I have 60MB free which is enough to make the phone launch application fast enough for me

as mentioned above , 2.1 doesn't use all the ram , not even 2.2 uses it all (I think 2.2 uses 300MB only)

From what I understand, the memory will be made available to applications as it needs it so it's a little misleading to say you only have 50mb or whatever left.

Best just let Android manage your memory, but obviously close any applications you have opened that your not using.

As for why 200MB is just missed, I don't know.. lol

1.) 2.1 doesnt use all the RAM so you are not getting 512 MB in the 1st place.

2.) Android works in a different way than say Windows. It caches apps in the RAM which *it thinks* would be useful to you and you may open it in future. So if you are not using any task killer than 50-60 MB is normal.

3.) However this can get a bit slow specially when Android caches those apps in the RAM which you are sure that you never use.

4.) Therefore its good to kill certain apps manually to free RAM.

5.) For this purpose I recommend SystemPanel or Task manager by Rythm software but you should know a bit about them before using them.

If you need any other details about using task killers/managers do let me know :)

1.) 2.1 doesnt use all the RAM so you are not getting 512 MB in the 1st place.

2.) Android works in a different way than say Windows. It caches apps in the RAM which *it thinks* would be useful to you and you may open it in future. So if you are not using any task killer than 50-60 MB is normal.

3.) However this can get a bit slow specially when Android caches those apps in the RAM which you are sure that you never use.

4.) Therefore its good to kill certain apps manually to free RAM.

5.) For this purpose I recommend SystemPanel or Task manager by Rythm software but you should know a bit about them before using them.

If you need any other details about using task killers/managers do let me know :)

Don't use Task killers , just use AutoKiller , it's not a task killer
it modifies how android handles the ram, so it's safe .. the killing is done by android system

Don't use Task killers , just use AutoKiller , it's not a task killer
it modifies how android handles the ram, so it's safe .. the killing is done by android system

Task killers are dangerous if you use the auto kill option or the KILL ALL option. If you selectively kill tasks which you are sure wouldnt load again and you are never going to use them then it works safe.

Back
Top Bottom