• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help How to control data usage on Android 2.2?

the-dude7

Lurker
I own a Dell Streak running Android 2.2. I ran a basic monitoring tool that showed that if I left my phone in idle for a month, it would consume 130mb. I prefer not to disable background data so I can get email without going into it. The only apps that run in the background that I'm aware of is email, weather, and I think the Dell Stage UI. For the other apps, I've set them to update every 4 hours or so. I have also checked to see if there are any applications that can monitor usage by application, but I keep finding the ones out there do not work due to the way the Dell Streak has implemented Android. Please help!

if I left my phone in idle for a month, it would consume 130mb.

First, thats not a lot of data at all. I frequently use over 6gb a month.

The only apps that run in the background that I'm aware of is email, weather, and I think the Dell Stage UI.

To see what else is syncing, go to menu-settings-accounts and sync.

For the other apps, I've set them to update every 4 hours or so.

That's going to be the bulk of your data right there. Do you really need these other apps syncing every 4 hours? On my phone, I have everything set to sync manually, except for the weather and gmail. IMO, there is no need to have things syncing in the background if you arent going to use those apps every 4 hours, which is why I set mine to manual.

It's a bit of data when the phone is just sitting idle. When I actually use the phone, I will exceed 2gb.

I only have a total of 5 apps that sync, which I use quite often. I would like to sync more often. I believe it's the Stage UI that's accounting for most of it, so I'll try a different launcher. It's more about conserving battery life.

With what I consider light use, i use between 50-80mb of data per day ... 5-10 email checks (not using push notification, but fetch every 4 hours), maybe 1-2 hours of web surfing and youtube, sports tap sports scores update checks, 20-30 text messages, maybe 20 or so min total of android market apps browsing... I also use Juice Defender to help with battery which restricts data if you need it to .. I'm on unlimited data plan but IMO data and battery go hand in hand - if you're protecting your battery you're probably doing the same for data.

It surprisingly adds up QUICK .. be careful with the limited data plans!

*I also send SMS pics, those start adding up also*

I have had my Dell Streak now for 4 billing periods and have yet to exceed 60Mb for a month.

I do spend almost all my time in Wifi, so my 3G usage is low, but even when I am on the go all day, I don't use more than about 5Mb, unless I use Google Maps turn-by-turn navigation, then I can use 25Mb in an hour or more.

I have my email set to poll every 5 minutes. I use 3G Watchdog to track usage and I use an app called "Toggle Net Switch" to turn off 3G when I don't want it on. Since I ride a motorcycle, there is no reason to have it polling while I am riding, so I only turn on the 3G when I want to use it.

So far I have used 4Mb this month :D

Back
Top Bottom