• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

J S Machine

Jul 28, 2010
I'm going on about my second full year with a RAZR maxx. The lag problem I am experiencing has gotten progressively worse. I recently hard reset the phone about a month ago and it fixed the problem for about 3 days, and then it started to slowly creep back. I think it is worse now than it was before the reset.

By lag, I mean navigating from screen to screen, opening apps. It took about ten seconds for the keyboard to come up from the bottom to even type this thread.

I upgraded to a class ten SD card a few months ago, but I don't think it helped much because I don't think many of my apps data is stored there, but rather in internal memory.

I don't have a ridiculous number of apps. I also recently opened the phone and replaced the battery. That helped but the new battery has not been too impressive.

I don't know what to do. I do know that the phone is so frustrating to use it almost isn't worth it.

Any help would be appreciated.

Most of these problems are caused by fragmented temporary storage. The solution is to do a Wipe Cache Partition that deletes temporary data without touching permeate data, installed apps, or settings.

When you did the Factory Data Reset one of its steps (probably) was to do a Wipe Cache Partition.

There is a lot of cons fusion about which Razr model is being used. You can Google Wipe Cache Partition for yours and get step-by-step instructions on how to do it (if it is an option for your device).

The older systems would take 5-10 min to run and could not be interrupted. The really old systems did not have Wipe Cache Partition as a separate option.

I do a Wipe Cache Partition on a Droid Turbo 2 every Saturday. It is running 6.0.1 and takes about 2 sec.

... Thom

Reactions: AZgl1500
Upvote 0

I got it into the boot screen and selected "wipe cache partition."

Then it went to the android guy in the middle of the screen. He has the belly area open and a molecular looking thing spinning there. It says "Erasing" right up under him with the blue progress line below that.

It has been like this for almost an hour.

What to do?

Upvote 0
Wait.

I think you are seeing why you were having those performance problems. It normally takes no more than 10 minutes.

If you halt it there should not be any damage (no guarantee) but there would still be a fragmented area.

You may be facing another Factory Data Reset. If you do, do a Wipe Cache Part ion right after the basic system is loaded. Do all your recovery stuff and then do another Wipe Cache Partition.

There was an Android version that did not do a Wipe Cache Partition during a Factory Data Reset and I never remember which version it is.

... Thom

Upvote 0
How long did it run?

It would be interesting to run it again and see how long that one took (my guess is less than 10 min).

As to knowing ... yes ... we all felt that way.

Users never really knew it was done during a FDR. It was common to hear about a laggy phone and the solution was always to do a FDR and it fixed it.

Then there was a system release where for some reason they left WCP out of the FDR and it became evident when FDR no longer solved the laggy problems.

WCP was then added as a separate callable function and also put back into the FDR.

It always took 5-10 min to run. My Droid Turbo 2 arrived and I tried a WCP ... it took 2 sec. To this date no one has ever explained that one.

... Thom

Upvote 0
I don't know how long it ran the first time the other day - at least two hours. I've done it twice since and it has taken over an hour each time. This doesn't add up....

Just started the third attempt tonight at 8pm. It is now 9:06pm and it is still going.

Each time, performance is like lightning for around an hour or two, then the phone goes back to a crawl.

Upvote 0
I have never heard of it running that long on any device. If you pull the SD card does it take that long?

I assume by Hard Reset you mean that you have done a Factory Data Reset.

After doing the Wipe Cache Partition try running in Safe Mode disabling all apps you added without uninstalling them. If the problem stops it is caused by an app that you added. If it doesn't;t then I would assume it is a hardware issue.

... Thom

Upvote 0
No it is different. From the Verizon website for your phone ...

Restart in Safe Mode - DROID RAZR HD / RAZR MAXX HD by MOTOROLA

Safe Mode puts your phone in a diagnostic state (returned to default settings) so you can determine if a third-party app is causing your device to freeze, reset or run slow.

An alternate method is available if the device is unresponsive or won't power on.

1. Press and hold the Power button.
  2. Touch and hold Power off.
  3. From the Reboot to safe mode screen, tap OK.
    linote.gif
    Allow several minutes for the device to power off and restart into Safe Mode.
    linote.gif
    Upon reboot, Safe Mode appears in the lower left.
note.gif
Notes:
    • With Safe Mode enabled, test device and app functionality. If the previous issue fails to occur, the cause has been isolated to a third-party app and all recently installed or updated apps should be uninstalled.
    • Power cycle the device to disable Safe Mode, reinstall then test each app, one at a time, to identify which is causing the problem.
... Thom

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones