• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[How-To] Force 2/2/2010 OTA Update

Hey guys, thanks for all the feedback. I was going to come back and update this last night, but the whole forum was down with a database error!

Anyways, I made the instructions a little bit more clearer (regarding navigating with the volume keys and the key sequence at the android warning page), as well as added the link for rooted/unlocked bootloaders.

Also, a little update to the FAQ, which is at the bottom of the instructions post.

Special thanks to FLT for holding down the fort while I slept :D

Upvote 0
So I have successfully forced updated my Nexus One, and its working fine without any noticeable problems. But one thing I have noticed is that there is a | like sign after my carrier logo. I don't *think* it was there before the update, i could be wrong but i am sure my carrier name does't have | after it. It's not affecting any functionality or any thing.. I am just curious if any one else has noticed any thing like this... and if so what does this indicate....
thanks

Upvote 0
Just wanted to ask once more and hopefully get a reply.
Does anyone know if doing this update is completely legit or will it void the warranty/TOS?

Thanks

The link provided is Google's official server. It is where people who legitimately got their OTA updates from downloaded their files.

It will not void your warranty. It is indistinguishable for anyone to tell if you got an OTA update or forced it after the fact.

I will add this to the FAQ.

Upvote 0
The link provided is Google's official server. It is where people who legitimately got their OTA updates from downloaded their files.

It will not void your warranty. It is indistinguishable for anyone to tell if you got an OTA update or forced it after the fact.

I will add this to the FAQ.

Thanks for the reply. Just wondering if anyone ends up with a bricked phone from this method if it'd be covered. Maybe I'll wait another day before applying.

Upvote 0
If this is the official update file, may I point out most of the files contained in the zip are dated 11/25/2009 which is before the release of the handset and before most of these problems surfaced. Something doesn't seem right.

No one got any thoughts on this? I don't actually doubt that the file is the correct one, but the dates are a bit curious :)

Upvote 0
I'll try on my droid to see if it works, the OS is the same build and Ill take the risk since this update clearly shows that every phone behind the nexus one doesn't receive priority anymore.

Man, did you read the first post.

Do NOT do this to your Droid. It will not work at all.

Anyways, all the features of this update have already been ported to Droid. Check the Droid section for more info.

Upvote 0
has anyone actually tried it yet, how can you say it doesn't work if no one has direct proof of a failed attempt?

You want to be the guinea pig?

Anyways, it took an entire night of work from several devs to modify the contents of the update enough to make it work on the Droid. You think you can flash it and get it working in 5 minutes?

Consider yourself warned.

Upvote 0
has anyone actually tried it yet, how can you say it doesn't work if no one has direct proof of a failed attempt?
I asked about this earlier in the thread as well. But I am going to take a pretty good educated guess and agree that it will NOT work on the DROID.
This file is merely an update for issues that were known on the N1 which already had the 2.1 installed. I haven't seen anyone post any info. about whether this update changed 2.1 to 2.1.1 or if the buiild number changed or anything like that. Additionally, I see that the file size is only ~15mb.
I am no expert, but I highly doubt the jump from 2.0.1 to 2.1 would only be that small of a file. Probably more along the lines of the first DROID update..~50-70mb.
I was curious and hoping it would work for us DROID owners, but looking at it more now, I won't be willing to be a guinea pig. I'll just wait until Motorola/Verizon are good and ready to release 2.1 (with any included updates). I'm just as eager as the next guy to get 2.1 and I know rooting could basically give me all of that, but I'd rather wait and hold Motorola/Verizon responsible for any issues that may/could arise from the update.
Fingers crossed for 2.1 soon though!!!

Upvote 0
hi,

i just downloaded both .zip files to my pc and they're different sizes in winrar. the one for the first link is coming up as around 15 mb and the one form the 2nd link is just over 3 mb. i'm not doubting the integrity of these update files but can anyone explain why that might be?

They're both ~15.3 MB. Your 2nd file probably got corrupted. But then again, why are you downloading the 2nd file anyways? You only need one copy of the update.zip.

Upvote 0
No one got any thoughts on this? I don't actually doubt that the file is the correct one, but the dates are a bit curious :)

My guess would be that the code was already written for release but not implemented for whatever reason.

All Google have had to do now is send us the files that were taken out of the OS.

Upvote 0
i got the phone 2 days ago without contract. i followed all the steps, when i applied sdcard:update.zip it came up with the message "E:failed to open/sdcard/update.zip (No such file or dicrectory)". and now i still can't use multi-touch. Need helppppppppp!!!!

Make sure you have put the update.zip in the root of your SD card. Don't put it in any folder and also make sure the actual name is update.zip.

Also make sure you didn't name it 'update.zip.zip'. Compare it with an MP3 file, if your mp3 file doesn't end in .mp3 then remove the .zip from the update.zip.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones