• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How to make Google maps make a sound instead of full instructions?

A bochur

Android Enthusiast
I use Google maps a lot and I'm looking for a way to mute the step by step instructions while still having a little sound to remind me that a turn is coming up.

Example: i mute Google maps step by step instructions, but when i get on a road and it shows to turn right in 30 miles, i might miss that turn because I'm not looking at my phone the whole time. The other option is to have the sound on, but in that case it's very annoying for the other passengers in the vehicle.

Is there a way to set it that Google maps should just emit a soft sound that will remind me that a turn is coming up, and then I'll look at the phone for full instructions?

There are a bunch of options under Maps | Settings | Navigation Settings. Looks like there is an option for audio cues, but I'm not sure how it works. I also remember somewhere there were settings for how far it should notify you.

Tasker may be a option but I'm doubtful you'll get your end result

That sounds like something that might work. How do you suggest i go about it?

I'm thinking something like having tasker listen out for any sound made by Google maps, and replacing it with a customized sound. Is that what you meant?

Can you please explain in short how i can make tasker listen for sound in the app?

There are a bunch of options under Maps | Settings | Navigation Settings. Looks like there is an option for audio cues, but I'm not sure how it works. I also remember somewhere there were settings for how far it should notify you.

I tried the audio cues option but it doesn't do what I'm looking for.

The funny thing is, a few years ago i had an issue that it would only make a sound instead of speaking full instructions. I easily found a solution for the 'bug' online. Now I'm actually looking to recreate the bug. But now i can't find a simple way to do that. All searches online result in how to fix the bug and not create it.

I'll send feedback to Google asking for this feature. And if there are other who like this idea, please send feedback to Google so they implement this feature.

Back
Top Bottom