• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How to recover (randomly) deleted files from SD card

IoGza

Lurker
I just recently noticed that all the files that were contained on my SD card were just deleted out of nowhere. I don't know what could have caused such a thing to happen and now cannot figure out a way to recover all of the photos, documents, and music which was contained on the file. Are there any legitimate, preferably free, data recovery software that could help me in restoring the data I lost, I would be really appreciative.

Use any file recovery software or app to retrieve files from SD card...
I've looked into multiple software restoring applications, but a majority of them seem to be either scams, viruses, or have their features blocked by a paywall. So no luck there

I've used Recuva(free version) to retrieve deleted files succesfully from storage devices.
https://www.ccleaner.com/recuva
You'll need a computer(Windows) with an SD card reader.
Thank's for the suggestion, but it seems as though I'll only be able to use recuva when I've gotten a SD card adapter as the program is not able to browse the files trough the phone itself; so if I am not to find any other helpful tips here, then I will just try the method I just listed and see what happens.

A usb card reader is very cheap, and no program will be able to do it with the card in the phone - the phone uses MTP to allow the computer to access files on the card, not usb mass storage, and MTP doesn't give the level of filesystem access that recovery software needs.

Best thing is to take the card out of the phone in the meantime to prevent files being overwritten.

And when you have recovered what you can, check the card isn't a fake (which can cause irrecoverable data loss), and consider whether you still trust it either way (if you don't know what caused the problem).

A usb card reader is very cheap, and no program will be able to do it with the card in the phone - the phone uses MTP to allow the computer to access files on the card, not usb mass storage, and MTP doesn't give the level of filesystem access that recovery software needs.

Best thing is to take the card out of the phone in the meantime to prevent files being overwritten.

And when you have recovered what you can, check the card isn't a fake (which can cause irrecoverable data loss), and consider whether you still trust it either way (if you don't know what caused the problem).
Thank you very much for the information, I will make sure to get a SD card adapter and hopefully be able to recover the data that was lost

Back
Top Bottom