• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How To Reverse Tether?

tiredhiker

I have a G1 and I now have an app named MapDroid BUT so slow to download the maps. If I could hook up my G1 to a computer at the internet cafe that has a ASDL connection it would go much faster AND I would be able to do something else beside watch the yellow bar slooooooowly move. I am not in the USA. One guy said the best way is buy a Bluetooth drive that looks like a flash drive. Plug it in the PC and my G1 should get internet. Not sure. I think files would work but not sure about internet. If the cable won't work then why should bluetooth?

I have a G1 and I now have an app named MapDroid BUT so slow to download the maps. If I could hook up my G1 to a computer at the internet cafe that has a ASDL connection it would go much faster AND I would be able to do something else beside watch the yellow bar slooooooowly move. I am not in the USA. One guy said the best way is buy a Bluetooth drive that looks like a flash drive. Plug it in the PC and my G1 should get internet. Not sure. I think files would work but not sure about internet. If the cable won't work then why should bluetooth?

Does this internet cafe not have a WiFi hotspot you can use?

This Cafe does not have WiFi but the Restaurant across the street does BUT I am in ScamBodia.. Cambodia. They just love to advertise Free WiFi but their internet connection is a dial up. Its a joke. Too slow.... Took me 2 days to download the California map! And their Hot Tea is $1 usd but internet cafe is 50 cents an hour. They have 3G here which is father but costs too much.

If the computer you were hooking up to had a WiFi card then you could connect that way and share the connection. Do they have any laptops at the cafe?

They do not have cards. People I see bringing their own laptops just hook up a LAN connection to them. Guess I will have to download the maps the hard way. Will try to find a WiFi spot with an ASDL connection. This MapDroid should post the maps on their website so we can download them on a normal PC so we can just throw them on the SD Card.

crap =.= im going to cambodia this summer thanks for the heads up but why are you even dl US maps if you live in cambodia?

anyways my idea is that you download the map files onto your computer then transfer them to your maps folder on your G1 via usb

I am from the USA. My son lives in Utah and I am working in Vietnam. I am in Cambodia to hunt down a Dog.....
Maps are just a nice way to see where I have been as I have been to over half of the US States. I have gone to their website and I see no way to download the maps. 2 states are missing from his download index and he will not even answer my email. If you know how to download the maps please tell us. thanks

Back
Top Bottom