• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help How to "See" my PC via Wireless Connection?

Dave McKeen

New Tab-S owner here. The tab connects to Internet just fine via wireless router. Nice, solid wireless connection. Descent Web performance.

I've seen references to this but haven't come across anything that's clear and understandable to me. I thought that when I connected to my wireless router/gigabit switch I would be able to see network devices from my Tab S just like I can see other PCs from any of the PCs on my Ethernet network. I see where I can connect the Tab S to my PC via a USB cable, but I want to pull something up from my PC while reading the Tab S in bed.

Is there anything like a file manager on the Tab S?

Am I barking up the wrong tree? =:0 (Say it isn't so!)

Thanks! Do I get X-plore on Google Play? (I'm totally all thumbs at this point in Tablet land.)

And how to hide the ton of preinstalled stuff? There's got to be a thread here about that.

Thanks! Do I get X-plore on Google Play? (I'm totally all thumbs at this point in Tablet land.)

And how to hide the ton of preinstalled stuff? There's got to be a thread here about that.

There are a couple of approaches to preinstalled apps you don't want to look at. I highly endorse EarlyMon's suggestion of Nova Launcher. I usually pull out the apps I use and put them on the desktop or in folders on the dock bar for easy access and so that I almost never go into the app drawer to see all that other stuff.

You can also go into settings -> apps and open up the control panel for individual apps you aren't interested in. If they offer an "uninstall" option, then you can uninstall them (and if they offer that option it is usually safe to do so meaning they aren't system apps with dependencies in other apps). If they only offer an option like "uninstall updates" then they are probably system apps which you can't uninstall. However, they may offer a "disable" button. If you press that, they will be hidden in your app drawer and no longer update or function. You can always undo it as a list of disabled apps will appear in settings -> Apps.

There's not a lot to mess up here as long as you don't have root, but ask questions here. And ultimately, feel free not to do anything we suggest that you are uncomfortable with. We try to make helpful suggestions, but you are the only one who knows what your comfort level is. ;)

Thanks very much for that gang. That's a treasure of information. In addition to studying the Tab-S docs from Samsung I'm reading Gookin's Dummies book on generic Galaxy Tabs. The book for the Tab-S comes out in June!

I'm learning to crawl at this point. I will certainly be asking questions. Thanks for the invitation.

Here's one for ya. In reading up on X-plore I ran across this comment:

EXCELLENT... Simply the best file manager on Android!!! I would rate it a 100 STARS if the STUPID KitKat's SD Card file managing issue can be fixed!!!​

I looked into it a little including B1. Is it difficult to impossible to write to the SD card from within KitKat? Say it isn't so!

I know I can read from the SD card. I can open a PDF I wrote to it on my PC.

The KitKat restriction is that apps can only write to folders that they own. The file manager has to create a top level folder, say to /sdcard, to own it - not a subfolder.

This is a departure from earlier behavior and has everyone upset and confused. ES File Explorer has a serious problem with the new restriction and people are blaming KitKat entirely when half the fault is ES.

You can connect to your pc, it won't have the restriction.

It's free to try X-plore, and can be harmlessly uninstalled if you don't like it.

The restriction is for security, to prevent malicious behavior by rogue apps. Lollipop softens the restriction.

The KitKat restriction is that apps can only write to folders that they own. The file manager has to create a top level folder, say to /sdcard, to own it - not a subfolder.

This is a departure from earlier behavior and has everyone upset and confused. ES File Explorer has a serious problem with the new restriction and people are blaming KitKat entirely when half the fault is ES.

You can connect to your pc, it won't have the restriction.

It's free to try X-plore, and can be harmlessly uninstalled if you don't like it.

The restriction is for security, to prevent malicious behavior by rogue apps. Lollipop softens the restriction.

Hey.... can anyone "refer" me to where ("LINK" maybe?) I can find the "exact" or "official" explanations of the SD Card "RULES" (and maybe some OTHER features too) for Lollipop? (Possibly even K.K. too)........ That way there's no need for anyone HERE to have to write some LONG explanation about it ... I can just save everyone some time & go check it out myself.

Back
Top Bottom