• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help How to Set Notification Volume to Silent but Ring Tone to Not Silent

Stuntman

Android Expert
I use the Sound Profile app to change the loudness of my phone. I have 3 settings: loud, quiet and sleep. With each configuration, I can set separate volume levels for ring tone, notification, multimedia and alarm. My sleep configuration has notification volume set to silent, but ring tone, multimedia and alarm to a low, but not silent setting.

Sometime ago, I noticed that when I choose the sleep setting, I hear nothing when I get a call. It took me a while, but I finally checked the Android system sound settings and found that the notification sound setting was no where to be found. It seemed to have disappeared at some point and notifications used the same sound setting as the ring tone.

How do I configure my phone so that notifications are silent, but phone calls are not? When I am asleep, I want to be awaken by a phone call or an alarm, but not when I receive an email or message from one of may many messaging apps. The lack of separate volume controls for notifications and ringtones appear to make this not possible now.

It seems that it is not working that well anymore. The ring tone would come on for about a second and then it is silent again.

Back
Top Bottom