• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How to stop ads in Messaging app?

ImaHaider

Lurker
Mar 9, 2018
I keep receiving random ads (from various companies) in the Messaging app (Google Play Store), all of which contains (partially) "@.https://goo.gl" in a link they want me to click. I assume that implies Google is the provider of the ad or ad service? Today I received a text ad at 4 AM which, unsurprisingly, WOKE ME UP. I cannot Mute the phone because I use it as an alarm clock, and I don't want to miss important texts from my daughter, regardless of the time.

Usually I leave my WiFi connection ON, 24/7. Since the ads include an internet link, does that mean I am receiving the ads through the WiFi connection? Will I stop receiving them if I disconnect from WiFi? Typically I reply to the ads with STOP, STOP ALL or everything I can think of along that line. I do believe that stops ads from the particular company I respond to. However, it does not stop ALL ads. Is that possible?

I received a text ad at 4 AM, which woke me up. I cannot Mute the phone because I use it as an alarm clock, and I don't want to miss important texts from my daughter, regardless of the time.

Motorola Droid Maxx
Android version 4.4.4

Last edited by a moderator:
I keep receiving random ads (from various companies) in the Messaging app (Google Play Store), all of which contains (partially) "@.https://goo.gl" in a link they want me to click. I assume that implies Google is the provider of the ad or ad service?

Usually I leave my WiFi connection ON, 24/7. Since the ads include an internet link, does that mean I am receiving the ads through the WiFi connection? Will I stop receiving them if I disconnect from WiFi? Typically I reply to the ads with STOP, STOP ALL or everything I can think of along that line. I do believe that stops ads from the particular company I respond to. However, it does not stop ALL ads. Is that possible?

I received a text ad at 4 AM, which woke me up. I cannot Mute the phone because I use it as an alarm clock, and I don't want to miss important texts from my daughter, regardless of the time.

Motorola Droid Maxx
Android version 4.4.4

While Google does run ad services, like AdMob, Ads by Google, etc, and the Google Play Store does distribute lots of apps of course. Was this particular messaging app made by Google or some other third-party developer? if it's the latter then it was more than likely the developers monetized it by sending you ads using Google's ad services. Maybe there's a paid version available that doesn't have ads?

Upvote 0
While Google does run ad services, like AdMob, Ads by Google, etc, and the Google Play Store does distribute lots of apps of course. Was this particular messaging app made by Google or some other third-party developer? if it's the latter then it was more than likely the developers monetized it by sending you ads using Google's ad services. Maybe there's a paid version available that doesn't have ads?

I don't know who made it. When I open the APPS app? on my cell, it is the only one listed as Messaging (with a green, rectangular dialog balloon above it). I assume it's the Google Messaging app.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Well there's quite a few apps in the Play Store called "Messaging", "Messages", and nearly all from third-party developers, NOT Google, and many may well be monetized with ads. Is the one you're using here? I know GO apps are notorious for ads, data mining, etc.
messaging.jpg

You got a Moto Droid Maxx phone? Which presumably has got its own stock Moto messaging app in it. Is that receiving ads?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Well there's quite a few apps in the Play Store called "Messaging", "Messages", and nearly all from third-party developers, NOT Google, and many may well be monetized with ads. Is the one you're using here? I know GO apps are notorious for ads.
View attachment 129792

I don't see it in your screenshot. Mine is a green dialog balloon with smiley face and simply says "Messaging" below it. It does not appear in the list of installed apps on my cell, although I use it regularly. Btw, I'm not very tech savvy at all.

I'm sorry, I didn't see your question below the screenshot. Yes, I believe it is a stock Moto Messaging app.

Upvote 0
From your other post with the download link you are using this one, it has ads. It's not the default app for your phone nor is it a Google Inc. app.

If it were me, I'd simply uninstall it (clear cache and data first) and try something else. If you want something free try Google's own Android Messages, it works well. Textra is also very nice.

Reactions: tube517 and mikedt
Upvote 0
From your other post with the download link you are using this one, it has ads. It's not the default app for your phone nor is it a Google Inc. app.

If it were me, I'd simply uninstall it (clear cache and data first) and try something else. If you want something free try Google's own Android Messages, it works well. Textra is also very nice.

Free is good, but are they both "ad" free?

Upvote 0

That's definitely not Google. It's some developer in Vienna, Austria, and I suspect they're using Ads by Google or Google AdMob to monetize their "free" app. And reading the numerous one star reviews of it, seems there's a lot of people howling about the ads.

Upvote 0
That's definitely not Google. It's some developer in Vienna, Austria, and I suspect they're using Ads by Google or Google AdMob to monetize their "free" app. And reading the numerous one star reviews of it, seems there's a lot of people howling about the ads.

I wouldn't know how to begin gathering the information you've provided for me. I am truly grateful for your efforts and assistance. I think I'll take Clementine's advice and try the apps she suggested. Thank you.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones