• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help How to stop hourly chime

stardog7

Lurker
I've had my Galaxy S5 for a couple of years now without any issues, but just in the last month something very annoying has been occurring regularly. At the top of every hour the phone automatically makes a chime noise and I don't know what is causing it to do so. I've gone into Application Manager under Setup and have turned off notifications for every single app that is on my phone. I've also double and triple checked every other category in the Settings menu as well, but to no avail. It's driving me crazy. Why would my phone all of a sudden start to chime at the top of every hour?

Does it happen if you run your phone in Safe Mode... see #1.4 of S5 Update Problems - Dummies Guide. If it persists, it is an Android OS issue or setting. If not, it will be a user app or setting.
Does it happen if you run your phone in Safe Mode... see #1.4 of S5 Update Problems - Dummies Guide. If it persists, it is an Android OS issue or setting. If not, it will be a user app or setting.
I just missed the top of the hour when I saw your reply. I will do that before the next hour comes and see what happens. Tks.

I tried Safe Mode and the chime did not sound, so I guess I am back to square one. I've turned off notifications in every single app in my phone's Application Manager, but the chime is still coming from somewhere. Another New Year's resolution to work on.

At least you have narrowed it down to be one of the apps or settings that did not come with the phone. I read that someone had installed the Transparent Weather app and deep in the settings there was an option for an hourly chime. You could start by disabling your user installed apps, one-by-one, to see which one is causing the issue. Start with any third party alarms or clocks.

At least you have narrowed it down to be one of the apps or settings that did not come with the phone. I read that someone had installed the Transparent Weather app and deep in the settings there was an option for an hourly chime. You could start by disabling your user installed apps, one-by-one, to see which one is causing the issue. Start with any third party alarms or clocks.
In an effort to wean my app list I ended up uninstalling 6 apps that I installed ages ago and didn't have use for anymore. Two were different styles of the Flip Clock widget (showed clock, date, temp, and other minor data) that I used to have active on my home screen, but removed (but not uninstalled) a log time ago. As of this afternoon the annoying chime has disappeared so I guess it was related to one of the apps I uninstalled, likely the Flip Clock widgets. Why it started chiming just recently, who knows.

A friend said there is a way to also check actively running applications on the S5 as well, similar to the feature on Windows PCs, but can't find the feature under Settings. I will have to check further to see if it exists. Bottom line, thanks very much for the Safe Mode tip. It began my journey to stop the dang chiming, for which I am ever grateful! :)

Gary

A friend said there is a way to also check actively running applications on the S5 as well, similar to the feature on Windows PCs, but can't find the feature under Settings. I will have to check further to see if it exists. Bottom line, thanks very much for the Safe Mode tip. It began my journey to stop the dang chiming, for which I am ever grateful! :)

To find running applications go to Settings>Developer Options>Running services. If you don't have Developer options go to Settings>About device>then tap Build info a bunch times (10?) until it unlocks.

Back
Top Bottom