• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root How to unbrick

Cooper271

Android Enthusiast
With the influx of new people to rooting, I decided to write this guide. If you experiment or make mistakes sometimes something may go wrong with your phone. This will fix almost any problems. I like testing anything, and I've never permanently bricked. I've got caught in a bootloop, my phone wouldn't boot, and some other things. Custom recovery wouldn't boot or system was corrupted, among other things. This has fixed it all.
The only things this may not fix are if you flash the wrong .tar through SWUpgrade, and sometimes if you flash the wrong sized boot image.
**Note** If you are able to flash something through custom recovery, Just do step 2.

1. Flash this through SWUpgrade: Free File Hosting, Online Storage &amp File Upload with FileServe (installs 2.1 with custom recovery)
2. Put this in your SD card in sdx/zip. Flash it through the custom recovery (puts you to 2.1 stock) full_restore_stock.zip
3. Download this file and place it in the root of your SD card. Select apply update.zip in the stock recovery (get to it same way as custom recovery) update.zip - 4shared.com - online file sharing and storage - download (updates phone to Froyo)
4. Download this file and flash it through SWUpgrade: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/21183005/recovery.tar (adds custom recovery to 2.2)

Haha, thanks. I wrote it for myself, so I had all the links in one place. Then I figured it'd be a good idea to post it on here.

Me too!! I messed it up big time. It wouldn't do anything. Got replacement phone and successfully rooted it!!!

Yeah, if you totally brick it. But there's only two ways I know of to totally brick it, and you honestly have to try to do it. Flash the wrong tar in swupdater or install a messed up boot image. What others are there?

I need to alert eveyone to change your FS is system to ext4 if you have ext2. I just corrupted my system folder. I turned off my phoner normally and havn't applied anything in days, and now got in a boot loop. With ext4 it should take under 1min to boot. 10 min and 12 vibrates later, nothing. Don't use EXT2 you guys, it's not stable enough, and now I got to find a way to fix my system folder. If anyone would like to donate a backup, I'd appreciate it.

[TheAndroid];2624093 said:
I need to alert eveyone to change your FS is system to ext4 if you have ext2. I just corrupted my system folder. I turned off my phoner normally and havn't applied anything in days, and now got in a boot loop. With ext4 it should take under 1min to boot. 10 min and 12 vibrates later, nothing. Don't use EXT2 you guys, it's not stable enough, and now I got to find a way to fix my system folder. If anyone would like to donate a backup, I'd appreciate it.

as I said in another thread, I chose stability over speed by using ext4

as I said in another thread, I chose stability over speed by using ext4

Yeah... Well my phones on the fritz now. Titanium backup is being weird, and I have no memory on my SD card apparently when I have half a gig left. This is going to take a lot of patience for me after hauling brick for 2 hours outside.

[TheAndroid];2625321 said:
Yeah... Well my phones on the fritz now. Titanium backup is being weird, and I have no memory on my SD card apparently when I have half a gig left. This is going to take a lot of patience for me after hauling brick for 2 hours outside.

I also save a copy of my sd on my computer's hard drive

[TheAndroid];2624093 said:

What backups do u need? i have some saved on my computer lol

Idk if they will be there but if you want a app that backs up your text messages anti-virus is what i use,

I rebooted and all my data was totally restored. Good thing I backed up my phone last week for the first time since the Froyo update. I need to be more consistent with my backups.

Same here, about once a week using MyBackup Root (paid version). I usually keep the 3 most current backups.

i backed mine up so often because i was using ext2 and ive had problems with it before but now that it alsomt perma bricked my phone and i need to get a new pne from sprint im just gonna keep it at ext4 xD

i backed mine up so often because i was using ext2 and ive had problems with it before but now that it alsomt perma bricked my phone and i need to get a new pne from sprint im just gonna keep it at ext4 xD

Tadaaa, Ext2 is like messing with fire. Your just begging to get burned.

Hi,
i am an intermediate in android tech and i just bought my first android- dell xcd35 a.k.a ZTE Blade (2nd gen)... i tried flashing cm7.03 and after i booted it but i forgot to wipe the data... its doesnt startup... its stuck with the cm7 android logo and i waited for nearly a day for it to get proper... plz tell me if i have bricked my phone and also tell me if i acn do anything to get it repaired... thank you!!

Back
Top Bottom