• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How will apps be updated/added?

charles

Lurker
Hi - sorry if this is dumb but my current phone is on its last legs and I'm REALLY looking forward to an Android phone. If I buy the phone on Day 1, I'm wondering if I get left out in the cold from an applications point of view. How will I get other applications that arrive later that I want? Can I simply select them and get them free (and ads pay for the whole thing?) or is another mechanism envisioned? Is some mechanism already shaping up for this? I like some of the 50 hot apps but there are a few more I'd like to see, like integration with my work email... And if anybody's really in the know, how will I get updates to an existing app I have loaded on my phone? I'm thinking of bug fixes, new releases, etc...

You know how you download applications onto your computer? Downloading applications to your Android Phone will be almost as easy as that.

You could either browse the net from your phone, choose an app to download and click install. Or, you could connect your phone to your laptop, download an app and transfer it to your phone.

Regardless, the OHA will make it easy.

HOWEVER... and this is a big however... what I mention above are only possibilities. Carriers could mess with this system and prevent ease of use if they wanted to.

It will all be on a carrier by carrier and phone by phone basis... but, the IDEA is for it to be open. Which would mean you could easily download whatever you want. But like I said, I'm sure that will vary.

Back
Top Bottom