• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

how you left Blackberry

AT1988

May 24, 2011
I once was a loyal Blackberry fan. From 2007-2009, I was a Samsung Blackjack and BJII fanboy. But then I saw the Bold, and it had a faster browser than the BJs, better UI, and better than the Curve I once tried (whose browser was horrid) and I switched. I loved the BB Keyboard, BBM, easier mail, and better speed. I was adamant about not getting an IPhone. I stayed on Blackberry until my Bold (had a Bold 1 from Feb 2009-Jan 2010, Bold 9700 Jan 2010-May 2011) 9700 stopped working unless on speaker phone. I tried a cheap Android, the LG Phoenix, but didn't like it too much, its keyboard was bad, had no camera flash, and missed BB. I tried the Torch, liked the physical keyboard and BB, but what really got me to switch were two things: the horrible app store, where most apps were expensive and not many apps, and the touch screen was even worse than the LG Phoenix. It froze more than Antarctica. Also, I realized aside from BBM, again email was taking 20 mins to get into my folder (on Exchange), whereas even on the Phoenix it was there immediately. This time I got the HTC Inspire 4G, and loved it, perfect, except for the battery life, and got the Atrix.

Why I stayed on BB for so long:
great keyboard
BBM
at the time, IPhone/Android were untested
durable
at the time, fast, until 2010

Why I left Blackberry:
bad apps
outdated technology
slow emails
9.95/month GPS vs. Google free (unlimited data)
not fluid like Android
no 4G phones

why I love android:
fast speeds
many apps, free apps
Atrix has amazing battery life
customizable
Facebook has chat, not paid app to chat
touch screen is great
phones come with much more memory and RAM
can also read FULL PDFs, business stuff, office materials
better videos/photos
widgets

I do miss BBM. I think Blackberry needs to focus their enery on hardware, like Motorola, or LG. They'd probably They probably have some great patents, intellectual property. However, their software frankly cannot compete nor can their "processors". A touch Bold? Are you joking? Its too small, and again its gonna be slow as BBs are these days. BBs were great in the late 2000s. All the business stuff BBs have, Androids now have too and better. How did you leave Blackberry, and come to Android?

didn't want to leave but they are running behind the times. Lots of things I miss but have to take the good with the bad too, anyone know how to go to facebook without the TRANSFERING of ALL your contacts?
I havn't gone there yet for that very reason!!
again , Droids are not ALL GOOD
Thanks for any help!

Upvote 0
I was on WinMo for years and went through several iterations of the Q. After too many issues with the Q I switched to the Storm. In the beginning it was Ok, but when they introduced AppWorld, I noticed several issues. One, RIM can't manage memory to save their lives. At around ten apps, I was always receiving out of memory messages. Also the constant battery pulls and the 2 days required to reboot the phone were very annoying. :rolleyes:

Last July I camped out and bought the Droidx. Now this phone isn't perfect, but it grows more on me every day. Compared to the Q and the Storm, the Droidx is so highly customizable, that I can make the phone look like anything I want, and I can find all that information on the web.

I'm always looking at what's new and dream about what's next, but my Droid still keeps me happy!

Z.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones