• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help HTC One M8 stuck on boot screen...

maxrostron

Lurker
Hey, I currently have an HTC One M8 and yesterday evening it ran out of battery and when I turned it back on it came up with the white bootloader screen with options to fastboot, recover etc.

Now I have been on this screen before and in the past I was just able to progress through via a fast boot with no problems whatsoever. However, this time all I can do is press the volume up button (which works its way 'down' the list - not to previous item like suggested?). The volume down button doesn't seem to be working i.e. I cannot select any options using it. The power button does work as it lets me turn my phone on or when held in combo with volume up, then it turns my phone off.

Over the past few days my power button and the volume down button have been working on and off. For example in the morning they may be working fine, but then suddenly stopped working during the day, before the working again and then ultimately the volume down button working not working most recently.

There was also an update ready to be installed but I didn't have the space on my phone to download it, so it hasn't been installed.

I don't mind performing a factory reset but obviously cannot select the option on my phone HOWEVER if anyone knows how this can be initiated by plugging it into the computer that would be great?

I am currently on EE UK. The information on the white screen is as follows.

*** Software status: Official ***
*** LOCKED ***
M8_UL PVT SHIP S-ON
HBOOT-3.19.0.0000
RADIO-1.25.214500021.O6G
OpenDSP-v48.2.2-00564-m8974_FO.1211
OS-4.16.401.13
eMMC-boot 2048MB
Aug 4 2015,19:21:49.0

HBOOT

<VOLUP> to previous item
<VOL DOWN> to next item
<POWER> to select item

FASTBOOT
RECOVERY
FACTORY RESET
SIMLOCK
CHECK SMARTSD
IMAGE CRC
SHOW BARCODE

(remember though, I can't seem to select any of these...)

Thank you so much in advance!

Last edited:
It sounds like a hardware problem to me. If the volume down button is stuck "on" the phone will go into the bootloader (the screen you describe) when you restart it, because pressing that key while the phone restarts is how you access the bootloader. And a stuck key can interfere with the function of other keys.

If this is your problem then a factory reset wouldn't fix it. Try wiggling the volume down key to see whether you can unstick it.

Hey, I currently have an HTC One M8 and yesterday evening it ran out of battery and when I turned it back on it came up with the white bootloader screen with options to fastboot, recover etc.

Now I have been on this screen before and in the past I was just able to progress through via a fast boot with no problems whatsoever. However, this time all I can do is press the volume up button (which works its way 'down' the list - not to previous item like suggested?). The volume down button doesn't seem to be working i.e. I cannot select any options using it. The power button does work as it lets me turn my phone on or when held in combo with volume up, then it turns my phone off.

Over the past few days my power button and the volume down button have been working on and off. For example in the morning they may be working fine, but then suddenly stopped working during the day, before the working again and then ultimately the volume down button working not working most recently.

There was also an update ready to be installed but I didn't have the space on my phone to download it, so it hasn't been installed.

I don't mind performing a factory reset but obviously cannot select the option on my phone HOWEVER if anyone knows how this can be initiated by plugging it into the computer that would be great?

I am currently on EE UK. The information on the white screen is as follows.

*** Software status: Official ***
*** LOCKED ***
M8_UL PVT SHIP S-ON
HBOOT-3.19.0.0000
RADIO-1.25.214500021.O6G
OpenDSP-v48.2.2-00564-m8974_FO.1211
OS-4.16.401.13
eMMC-boot 2048MB
Aug 4 2015,19:21:49.0

HBOOT

<VOLUP> to previous item
<VOL DOWN> to next item
<POWER> to select item

FASTBOOT
RECOVERY
FACTORY RESET
SIMLOCK
CHECK SMARTSD
IMAGE CRC
SHOW BARCODE

(remember though, I can't seem to select any of these...)

Thank you so much in advance!

I know this is an old post, but I literally had the same issue and same boot screen with my HTC Droid DNA.

I found a solution that worked for me without USB debugging or using the computer.

I kept this old phone around in case I could get into it someday to access the photos and videos on it. I would get it out every once in a while and try to get into it.

I had the same issue with only being able to hit the UP Volume button, which would move the selection down the list for some reason. The power button would not select anything, and the Volume DOWN did nothing as well.

I was finally able to get it to boot into safe mode.

Here's what I did:
1. Turn the Phone OFF (Hold the Power Button until it turns off 10 sec or so)
2. Press the Power Button and Volume UP and hold until you see the HTC Logo
3. From there it literally just booted into the Phone as normal, except there was a label on the screen saying Safe Mode.

I can't believe it was that easy...

Literally all the internet apps are too old to work with this phone, so I downloaded Android Studio and was able to save the files to my computer with the Device Manager.

I hope this helps someone recover their old photos and videos as well.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom