• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

HTC One M9 or Samsung Galaxy S6?

Which smartphone are you more likely to get?

• HTC One M9

Votes: 13 44.8%
  • Samsung Galaxy S6

Votes: 10 34.5%
  • Some other phone being announced at MWC

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Some other phone already released

Votes: 1 3.4%
  • Some phone you know will be announced later this year

Votes: 2 6.9%
  • Are you crazy? I can't afford no stinkin phone this year!

Votes: 3 10.3%

• Total voters
As always, I'll reserve judgement until I've held the actual devices, and until we have real-world experience of their performance.

The M9 has the advantages of a 1080p screen and microSD expansion, and I prefer HTC's software to Samsung's. I expect the curved back to be more comfortable than the flat back of the Samsungs (I've found that with previous generations, and it looks more extreme this time round), but won't actually know until I handle them.

That said, the S6 Edge does look cool - I have to give Samsung credit for that, and will have to try one out in the flesh.

Upvote 0
Neither removable battery or expanded memory on the S6. At least the M9 has a micro SD slot.

Yea,I was actually surprised SAMMY went that route on both accounts.
Wonder if more of the same is to be seen on the NOTE5............
The expandable memory makes sense to me,gives the consumer a choice on the same exact model of phone,not to mention the other added benefits of removable vs fixed storage.

The one interesting comparison point that I'm interested in is battery life between these two (M9 & S6).
If I were looking at these two as finalists,this one item would win me over,if there's a significant difference..............

Upvote 0
I thought i was SOLD on the S6, because i have had such good experiences with the S3, S4 and S5... As well as the Note2.
But lack of expandable memory will certainly have me looking very closely at the M9.

Samsung made a big goof in my opinion. S6 looks amazing, but i really want the SD card slot.

Edit... a quick lool for cases for the HTC line up does not show any offerings that would suit me. I pretty much require a Lifeproof or OtterBox Preserver for my device.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The Preserver narrows your choices a lot: I just went to the Otterbox site to check, and the only device they were offering that for was the S5!! Lifeproof weren't much better (S4, S5, and one Motorola model - plus a load of iPhones).

The various pre-release leaks (which have generally been pretty accurate) did include a waterproof case for the M9, though I've seen no details beyond that and nothing official.

Reactions: olbriar and KOLIO
Upvote 0
I am leaning toward my first Samsung phone. Why would I leave HTC? They let me down today. Samsung's presentation made me feel like I was actually at MWC. I felt like they believe in their product and tried to give the customer the best things they could design/envision. When the CEO of Samsung slid his S6 into his jacket pocked like a prized possession I was taken back. The CEO of HTC was waiving his phone around like a sparkler as though it was nothing special. I was not inspired by HTC at all. Not to mention, they still dorked up the camera. Whomever came up with the bright idea to slap the biggest camera on a phone without OIS will get fired. They should have moved the camera up to something that was reasonable. Seems like they didn't do R&D on the camera at all and did not know bigger camera doesn't equate to the best pictures...lol

The only thing I don't care for on the Samsung is no way to setup your own themes. And I know I might miss blinkfeed...sigh. But Samsung said they have resolved the lag problem with their product. Can I trust them? I do not know.

I would rather charge my phone for 10 minutes and get 4 hours of power. Even with a quick charger my M8 takes over an hour to fully charge.

I'm on the fence right now. I need a huge and some time to myself. So much on my mind.

Reactions: Cam501
Upvote 0
I would rather charge my phone for 10 minutes and get 4 hours of power. Even with a quick charger my M8 takes over an hour to fully charge.

I'm on the fence right now. I need a huge and some time to myself. So much on my mind.

M9 60% battery in 30 minutes with quick charge.

Yea,I was actually surprised SAMMY went that route on both accounts.
Wonder if more of the same is to be seen on the NOTE5............
The expandable memory makes sense to me,gives the consumer a choice on the same exact model of phone,not to mention the other added benefits of removable vs fixed storage.

The one interesting comparison point that I'm interested in is battery life between these two (M9 & S6).
If I were looking at these two as finalists,this one item would win me over,if there's a significant difference..............

I think the HTC is going to win at the battery life game. That QHD screen is a battery killer, add to that the smaller battery and you are going to have a beautiful device you have to charge a lot, not to mention anything graphic intensive is going to suck up battery life. I am interested to see the real-world numbers.

Reactions: KOLIO
Upvote 0
M9 60% battery in 30 minutes with quick charge.

I think the HTC is going to win at the battery life game. That QHD screen is a battery killer, add to that the smaller battery and you are going to have a beautiful device you have to charge a lot, not to mention anything graphic intensive is going to suck up battery life. I am interested to see the real-world numbers.

Yeppers,the QHD is a thirsty beast.
Both the OPPO FIND7 & NOTE4 make it through a typical workday,as screen-on time is limited to checking an occasional email & whatever I deem necessary to look at via smartwatch notifications,etc.....
But,during leisure time,playing games seems to take the heaviest toll,watching videos to a lesser degree,but,on both accounts,take a bigger bite than the same on a 1080 HD device.

Upvote 0
As I was saying my M8 takes over an hour to charge using my Motorola quick charger. Yet, the M9 will reach 60% in 30 minutes. How long does the phone take to charge that remaining 40%? The chip tells the charger to slow down the rate of charging at a certain percentage I believe. I believe at MWC they said the S6 can be fully charged in half the time it takes an iphone to be fully charged. I'm thinking both the M9/S6 are on par in relation to how fast they charge. For the most part if you are going to be doing anything intensive on your phone I assume you will be at home or at work and next to a charger. I like the quick charging times because it puts you back in action relatively quick.

I play Boom Beach a lot and the battery doesn't last long no matter what the brightness setting. I think every user is different in regard to battery life. Depends on what you will be doing with your phone.

Reactions: KOLIO
Upvote 0

M9 might have slight edge on battery life, but not by a lot. It's QHD LCD screen that's battery killer as seen in G3. Samsung has shown AMOLED screen is more efficient than LCD at the same resolution. So 2k AMOLED screen should be close to 1080p LCD in efficiency if not better. I think this is the reason HTC didn't go with QHD LCD screen. So that leaves processor and memory on power efficiency, which is better in S6. But it comes with 240mAh smaller battery. Will wait for GSMarena and Anandtech reviews.

Upvote 0
The extreme power savings that Samsung brags about only applies for non-Pentile screens.

The Pentile arrangement has a processing overhead that they don't like to talk about - something that we got out of the CEO of the company who supplies the technology when she came here to defend against Pentile complaints.

If the S6 is Pentile QHD, kiss the assumed power savings behind.

EDIT - as for SoC power efficiency, the new 14 nm Exynos is going to have a lower per-gate junction power cost than the 20 nm Snapdragon 810.

However - both are going to be driving a massive increase in transistors when running full on and the Exynos is clocked higher.

I'd warn to count no chickens before they're hatched for power consumption on either one.

Actual power drain on both is going to be app and process dependent, as configured by each user.

So for SoC power consumption, reflected in phone heat and fast draining batteries, I predict great praise for both, great complaints for both, and plenty of flame wars for everyone.

"The new processor really saves power!"

Great slogan.

So is this one -

TANSTAAFL: there ain't no such thing as a free lunch.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I might have to wait and see what the LG G4 is going to be. I've read the reviews on the S6 and M9 and honestly, I don't know which. Its all pretty confusing. I want a real good camera and long battery life and preferably an SD card. It seems that I can't get all of that in one device.
You can but it's expensive.

http://www.cnet.com/products/panasonic-lumix-cm1/

Otherwise, I agree, always wise to wait and compare to all choices.

Upvote 0
I'm going to be going with the M9. The S6 Edge looks nice, and I'd even bet that the S6 is a better all around phone than the M9. Still the M9 seems like it will be a better phone for me. I use my phone to listen to music a lot, so that Dolby surround sound will definitely make it the better sounding phone. Battery life is also important and I can't believe that the S6 will have better battery life with a smaller battery and higher res screen. I also believe you can get more memory for your money between a M9 + SD Card than you can with the S6 memory variants.

Reactions: today and KOLIO
Upvote 0
I'm going to be going with the M9. The S6 Edge looks nice, and I'd even bet that the S6 is a better all around phone than the M9. Still the M9 seems like it will be a better phone for me. I use my phone to listen to music a lot, so that Dolby surround sound will definitely make it the better sounding phone. Battery life is also important and I can't believe that the S6 will have better battery life with a smaller battery and higher res screen. I also believe you can get more memory for your money between a M9 + SD Card than you can with the S6 memory variants.

According to this video, its questionable whether or not there is any difference in sound between the M9 or the M8. I'm going to have to say its a gimmick with the M9 in regard to an "upgrade" in sound quality.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
According to this video, its questionable whether or not there is any difference in sound between the M9 or the M8. I'm going to have to say its a gimmick with the M9 in regard to an "upgrade" in sound quality.

That's interesting, although I think the M8 speakers are mighty fine as is.

As far as HTC vs. Samsung music playback, I can only submit my experience between the HTC LTEvo, The Samsung GS4 and the HTC One M8. My preference is to listen to music via wired headphones and the M8 is by far the better device. It sounds way better than the S4, and also better than the LTEvo. Although, the LTEvo was better than the S4, and I was sad that I "upgraded" to the S4.

Reactions: Rose4uKy
Upvote 0
Samsung has been showered with 20 million orders for their new flagship. That's insane and has set a record for the company. I know its not preorders from customers, but it looks like they will rebound from their shortfalls of last year.

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Reco...alaxy-S6-edge-units-have-been-ordered_id66957
According to an unnamed source claiming to be a European carrier executive, speaking on condition of anonymity, and not confirmed by Samsung.

Will be great when it's known to be true.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones