• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

HTC support issue

markdoc

Android Expert
I just got off the phone with HTC support. Normally, I wouldn't call HTC because I have found their support to be inferior. This was about problems with two accessories I purchased on their website.
For the first time, I was connected to overseas support. (I live in the USA) I am a firm believer that support personnel should be from the country they are supporting. That way there is better understanding of cultural differences and there is less chance of communication problems.
I purchased the ice view case and the Quick Charge 3 charger. The ice view case cover won't close completely and the charger came with a micro usb cable instead of the usb c cable. I know it said the charger had micro usb but since I ordered it from the HTC 10 accessory page, I didn't pay attention. The problem is they couldn't do anything. I was told that the accelerated support team will call me back in 1 to 2 days. I won't hold my breath. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The charger in the Phone box should have been a Quick Charge 3.0 charger already...
You wanted a second one for Work/Play/Car or something?

The HTC 10 is one of HTC's first Type-C plug phones. 90% of all their other phones still use the old Micro-USB cable.
Sucks that they don't send a Type-C cable, but how are they to know which phone you have and which phone you bought the charger for?
I know other companies, like One Plus, ship a Micro-USB to Type-C adapter in the Phone box with the device. Pretty safe in assuming that HTC did not include one. Its ok though, those adapters can be dangerous (fire risk) and can actually slow the charging process - especially when they are not included with the device, 3rd party, or non-approved.

They have the separate cable for sale in their store. You could have added it to your cart, but how were you to know that it was needed? You have a pretty strong case that they owe you a Type-C cable and should update their product listing.
http://www.htc.com/us/accessories/usb-type-c-cable/#!pid=htc-10

In any case, you can use the included USB to Type-C cable that came with the wall charger in the phone box, on the new wall charger that they just shipped you.

As far as the Ice View Case, you are not the only one to have on that doesn't stay shut.
https://www.amazon.com/Genuine-HTC-...e=UTF8&filterByStar=two_star&showViewpoints=0
There was a similar issue with the Ice View's predecessor, the Dot View cases for the M8 and M9. Those cases also had issues with the hinges un-gluing or ripping and the front cover not laying flat. There were product revisions made to address the glue durability and such.
I was lucky to not have bought the Dot View right away when it came out and received the revised product. I take good care of it and it has served me well (minimal wear to the hinge).
Also Note: I believe that the Dot View & Ice View are not designed like a wallet case, I don't think you are supposed to flip the front cover all the way around to the back. I think this action is what exacerbated the hinge tearing for many, and in my opinion over time could make the front cover not lay flat. I try to never open the front flap past horizontal - like if the device was laying with the back on the table.

Do you see a product revision number on the Ice View case Box? Maybe if you can determine there is a newer revision than you have received they can RMA you the updated case? - Don't count on them knowing or understanding that they might have an updated revision...Plus the case could potentially be shipped from a stock room anywhere in the world, who's to tell which revision might arrive :D

PyroSporker: I agree with everything you said and have an answer to your question, "Sucks that they don't send a Type-C cable, but how are they to know which phone you have and which phone you bought the charger for?"
When I purchased the charger, it was from the HTC 10 accessory page:
http://www.htc.com/us/accessories/#!pid=htc-10
If it had the wrong cable, it would have been nice if that was stated. (Unfortunately, when I went back and checked, it does say "Micro USB" cable. I just didn't read it carefully when ordering because of where it was listed.)

Just for information's sake, you mentioned possible problems with 3rd party quick chargers and agree. I have found a reputable company named Aukey that make Qualcomm certified Quick Chargers 2 & 3. I have been using their products for over a year and haven't had a problem yet. They offer a 2 year warranty and when I thought there was a problem with their Quick Charge 2, they stood behind their product and tried to help. It wound up being a damaged charging port on an HTC One M8 and I had to replace the phone. Thanks for your insight.

PyroSporker: I agree with everything you said and have an answer to your question, "Sucks that they don't send a Type-C cable, but how are they to know which phone you have and which phone you bought the charger for?"
When I purchased the charger, it was from the HTC 10 accessory page:
http://www.htc.com/us/accessories/#!pid=htc-10
If it had the wrong cable, it would have been nice if that was stated. (Unfortunately, when I went back and checked, it does say "Micro USB" cable. I just didn't read it carefully when ordering because of where it was listed.)

Anyone, and I mean anyone can access that page. Its not like it is only accessible on said device. Their listing comes up during an internet search for those without the device and can be landed on by literally anyone. The store front and subsequent supply chain has no recognition or acknowledgement of which device flavored webpage you were on and purchased it from.
Selecting your device is a mere formality. All their accessories are listed in a generic database and every webpage for every device links back to the same 1 item.

That is interesting, it doesn't say "with Micro-USB" anywhere on the listing, UNTIL you drop it into your cart. And it shows that only in the cart when you hover over it, or when you go to checkout it also shows it. Understandably It would be very easy to miss

Anyone, and I mean anyone can access that page. Its not like it is only accessible on said device. Their listing comes up during an internet search for those without the device and can be landed on by literally anyone. The store front and subsequent supply chain has no recognition or acknowledgement of which device flavored webpage you were on and purchased it from.
Selecting your device is a mere formality. All their accessories are listed in a generic database and every webpage for every device links back to the same 1 item.

That is interesting, it doesn't say "with Micro-USB" anywhere on the listing, UNTIL you drop it into your cart. And it shows that only in the cart when you hover over it, or when you go to checkout it also shows it. Understandably It would be very easy to miss
I'm not trying to argue, it's just enjoyable verbal sparing so please don't be offended. If you check that page again, it does say "HTC 10". It's under the large black heading with HTC in white. See the photo. I really think they messed up. Your turn;)
Screenshot_20160901-155240.png

...You have a pretty strong case that they owe you a Type-C cable and should update their product listing.
http://www.htc.com/us/accessories/usb-type-c-cable/#!pid=htc-10

...Maybe if you can determine there is a newer revision than you have received they can RMA you the updated case? - Don't count on them knowing or understanding that they might have an updated revision...Plus the case could potentially be shipped from a stock room anywhere in the world, who's to tell which revision might arrive :D

I'm not trying to argue, it's just enjoyable verbal sparing so please don't be offended. If you check that page again, it does say "HTC 10". It's under the large black heading with HTC in white.

I'm on your side, just laying out all the facts. I'm glad to help you try to build your open and shut petition.
There is no argument, offense, or even a "spar". I've stated a number of times that your situation has my empathy and understanding. I understand and know where you are coming from.
As I said earlier, I believe that they probably owe you a Type-C cable and an RMA for your Ice View case. And I hope that you accomplish that, as well as put another bug in their ear that their store has issues that should be addressed. You can fix your own debacle and help make it better for others too.

In regards to your photo, I do know how their store works. I know you have to select a device. I've provided a link in a prior post to their store with the HTC 10 selected as my device, which I do not own. If I wanted to I could purchase it just the same as you. "Selecting your device is a mere formality. All their accessories are listed in a generic database and every webpage for every device links back to the same 1 item." The device selection is purely for the users benefit to limit their choices to theoretically compatible accessories and is nothing more than a visual cue.

I'm over simplifying a bit here but;
Let's imagine HTC's online store as a Brick and Mortar store. Let's say you walk in to purchase a wall charger. You meet a store associate and state you would like a vacation only wall charger to bring with you to use in hotels and if you forget it in Poughkeepsie that it would be ok. You have an upcoming vacation to Walley World.
The first question they are going to ask you is which device you have. You state the HTC One M8. The associate knows from experience or has a matrix on hand to verify that your device is 1 of say 30 HTC devices that are Qualcomm Quick Charge 2.0 compliant. He goes into the back room and goes to the pallet of HTC brand Qualcomm Quick Charge 2.0 chargers. The exact same pallet he picks from for 29 other HTC devices. Your telling him which device you owned did not change the packaged up charger and included cable that he brought you, it merely guided his decision on exactly which bulk pallet to pick the box from.

Generic database item - http://www.htc.com/us/accessories/htc-rapid-charger-2/
Same item referring back to the generic ^ - http://www.htc.com/us/accessories/htc-rapid-charger-2/#!pid=htc-one-m8
By the time you follow the link to the store checkout, you are redirected to a 3rd party vendor and the #!P(hone)ID is dropped. HTC uses a company named Digital River (US) for storefront and payment services.

Last edited:
You're right on all counts. The person I spoke to yesterday said they would call me back in 24 to 48 hours to help me with the return. I'm not holding my breath but we'll see. If they don't call back, then I have to try a different support number or call at a different time. That might connect with different support staff. I know I'm dreaming, but that's all I've got.

Just an update:
After getting a callback 3 days later (1-2 days late) I had to explain the situation a second time. Then I was told, wait for it, someone will call me back on Tuesday.(yesterday) No call back. I called back this morning and after being put on hold 3 or 4 times over 25 minutes I got this solution. Because I ordered the case with the $100 coupon, I can order a new case or anything else and pay for it. In other words, F.U., we're not doing anything. So I got indignant and wanted a supervisor. That took 15 minutes more and two attempts to push me off on another call back. What a bunch of sh*t. The supervisor finally got on named Laura. Unfortunately more B.S. I gave up on the cable to make it easy. Obviously, it didn't. No wonder why HTC is having financial problems and decreasing sales. Their support STINKS! I was told I'd get a callback in 15 minutes. It's taken me close to 25 minutes to get this together. What a joke.:mad::maddroid:

Second update: I received a call later that afternoon. This was from the call 3 days ago. I know this because she asked about the cable and I had given up on that with today's call. So I explained again. She wanted photos of the ill fitting case and said after I sent them, I would get a code for $50 credit. I got an email saying she received my photos and everything was fine. About 2 hours later, I got another call from someone else. She said they didn't get the photos and wanted to know why. I told her I sent them and have an email confirmation. She replied, "Oh, OK, let me check. Yes, I see we have them. Just a follow up. Thank you". I won't write what I was thinking. What a bunchbof sh*t. No wonder why HTC cell phones are having sales problems. I doubt that I will ever buy an HTC phone again, even though I love the phone. The support is a joke!

Back
Top Bottom