• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root I cannot flash a ROM on my DX2

kryznic

Lurker
Hi guys,

I cannot boot into bootstrap recovery.

I have been trying for the past 5 or 6 days now to flash Cyanogen 7 onto my DX2. I have rooted and flashed my previous Droid (Droid 2 R2D2) but I cannot for the life of me figure out what the heck I am doing wrong with this thing.

I have tried the Motorola one click root, zerg root and gingerbreak(did not work). The first 2 both claim to have enabled the super user, I get the whole xxxx program wants superuser access and I give it or whatever and it says its working.

Yet when I try to reboot into boostrap recovery (I am using the Droid 2 BS, I have tried the DX2 BS with same results) and Clockwork Recovery and no matter what they will not boot into recovery. The only recovery I can boot into is the Android Recovery but I cannot install the ROM from there because it barks about not verifying the signature.

I SBF'd 2.3.4 then did the update to 2.3.5, rooted with Zerg and still no recovery.

I have no clue what to try next. I read some posts about the phone having to be plugged into the wall on the charger, is there truth to this?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

To flash CM7 you must be on 2.3.4. After you successfully flash 2.3.4 install the dx2 bootstrapper. Open up the bootstrapper icon in app drawer named "system recovery." Follow the onscreen instructions. YOU MUST have your phone in the AC/Wall charger for the installation to be successful. As I recall your phone will shutoff suddenly and reboot into clockworkmod, which is Boot strap recovery.

Now that you're phone is running 2.3.4 and has CWM, make sure your phone is rooted. I used the link provided and I didn't run into a single error, including flashing cm7. http://androidforums.com/droid-x2-all-things-root/406884-one-click-root-dx2-2-3-3-a.html

Use this link for all 4 files that NEED to be downloaded in advanced and put on your SD card.
[ROM]CyanogenMod 7.2.0-RC0 X2 [BETA][TETHERING][BT FIXED AGAIN] - xda-developers

Follow all instruction and you'll be good to go. Just remember to actively read and understand what is going on rather than just skimming. I followed the same steps that the CM7 tutorial stated and the same procedures I've mentioned above and the flash was successful without any hiccups. Hope this helps mate.

-Drew

Thank you so much! I l knew i was missing something. I just updated to 2.3
5 so I will have to flash the sbf back down a version. I will give it a run tonight

Well it seems no matter what tutorial I follow or what apps/programs I try nothing will boot this phone into any bootstrap. I tried all of them including the CM7 one. I know the phone is rooted because it says SU privs granted. I even blew the phone away and reflashed VRZ_MB870_4.5.1A-DTN-150-30_1FF_01.sbf and started over. It either just reboots or it gets stuck at the Red M "Dual Core" screen and then I have to pull the battery.

And I am plugging it into the wall, using my Droid 2 AC adapter, not that it should matter.

Also, this phone was already rooted when I got it, it was running Eclipse. Not sure what that is but I blew it all away and started fresh but no boot loader other than stock can I get too. :(

Hmmmm, I have that already, I don't think it worked for me either. I may give it another try. I went back to my Droid 2 since I couldn't get my X2 flashed, I would like to use the X2 but meh, I am due for an upgrade in October and god only knows what awesomeness will be out by then.:)

I had to uninstall the cm7 and install the normal one. I opened it up, installed it, plugged up the power from an outlet and (I did a fresh root before I changed the recoverys) and hit recover mode and it rebooted into cwm.....if it didnt work for you, there has to be SOMETHING out of sync....this was it for me like i said. I'm glad I got it working, but i am missing the galaxy s screen compared to this one. but i got it off ebay for 125 so i cant complain(with a 16 and 8 gb sd card)

to make sure you have the right one installed it will not say cm7 but just System Recovery.

Thanks for the info. I will give that a try on my next insomniotic night. Ohhhhhh I just remembered the other reason I went back to my D2 is MLB. TV it supports the X but not the X2 for God knows why..... Lame

When I mess things up and I need to start over, I do exactly this...

• Run RSD Lite to flash the 2.3.4 SBF (usually bootloops afterwards, so I pull battery, put it back in, boot into stock System Recovery, wipe data, reboot)
  • Get the phone up and running, go into System Settings > Applications, check Unknown Sources, go into Development, check USB Debugging, Stay Awake
  • Plug the phone into the computer's USB, run Pete's Root Tools and root phone
  • Plug the phone into the wall, install the regular Bootstrap Recovery, open it and make sure it installs and goes into recovery
  • Figure out where I want to take my phone from there and follow the various other ROM's instructions

Sometimes I get a failed RSD, and it seems like my phone is bricked for a few battery pulls. Sometimes I can power+vol up straight into RSD mode, sometimes it takes a dozen battery pulls, luck of the draw there. But 9 times out of 10, RSD flashes correctly.
And you don't install the CM7 Bootstrap update until AFTER CM7 or CM9 is flashed.

You probably have this figured out, but I just wanted to spell it all out here.

Cool, I am not sure if I have used the stock recovery after a fresh stock flash, everything else seems familiar. I will give it a try tonight cuz my DX2 is now mocking me from my desk drawer. I will update.

Cool, I am not sure if I have used the stock recovery after a fresh stock flash, everything else seems familiar. I will give it a try tonight cuz my DX2 is now mocking me from my desk drawer. I will update.

One problem I had after an sbf was the hanging on the M as well. Hold the volume down and power until the wording comes up at the top. After that press volume down until you see android recovery and then press volume up. Once there press both volume buttons and then wipe data. Happened to me a couple of times and this solved it. After that proceed with zerg root and then rom or whatever.

After many more flashes, a lot of which involve rooting 2.3.5, I've realized that Motorola One Click Root is the only consistent way to get 2.3.5 rooted. Pete's hangs up things every once in a while, and Zergrush doesn't work at all. But like I said, that's only with 2.3.5.

After many more flashes, a lot of which involve rooting 2.3.5, I've realized that Motorola One Click Root is the only consistent way to get 2.3.5 rooted. Pete's hangs up things every once in a while, and Zergrush doesn't work at all. But like I said, that's only with 2.3.5.

You mean rooting 2.3.4?

I've been trying to flash Ecplise onto my phone, but it keeps aborting the install... then it bricks... i can do the volume buttons so i can use RSD and SBF back to 2.3.4 and reinstall PETE's ROOT and protect it then upgrade back to 2.3.5...

I've tried 3 times and same results... says error in line 294 whatever that means...

I want the phone, is just that I think I should not be spending money in times like this.

I've been having the same problem for a while now. Someone gave me a nandroid that worked for me. Holler if you need it.

sorry, I renamed it, should be a zipped folder, forgot to add .zip
try adding .zip to file, unzip should be folder named 2012-08-10.19.41.54
move folder to sdcard/clockworkmod/backup
reboot to cwm/bsr restore backup

edit: folder should have 5 files
android_secure.img, cache.img, data.img,nandroid.md5, and system.img

reuploaded http://www.mediafire.com/?39k4zck3k1wkhr6

Back