• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

I can't get rid of annoying app

DDay

Lurker
About a month ago, I started getting weather updates from preparedforweather.com. I have never heard of this site and don't have a clue how it ended up on my phone. I have not installed any new apps that I am aware of (at my age, anything is possible).

During the day, it displays a dozen or more worthless ad-based alerts. I went to their website and unsubscribed, that made no difference. There are no weather-based apps on my phone now, I've uninstalled the only one I had (Radar Now) and the alerts keep coming.

Short of resetting my phone, any idea how to get rid of this?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

DDay

If you haven't got their app installed, could be their SMS or MMS alerts being sent directly to your number. If unsubscribing doesn't work, see about blocking the source they're coming from. Could be worth checking that you're not being billed for receiving them as well.

If you haven't got their app installed, could be their SMS or MMS alerts being sent directly to your number. If unsubscribing doesn't work, see about blocking the source they're coming from. Could be worth checking that you're not being billed for receiving them as well.

If my phone were Windows, I'd know what to do. Android and iOS are foreign to me. Since there is no rt-click to show properties, I decided to see what would happen if I held my finger down on the alert, and behold... SETTINGS! I was able to block them as you suggested. Thank you.

Ok, here is where my ignorance really shines... I don't know. I was so excited when I discovered that holding my finger on a notification gave me options, like block, I didn't pay any attention. I'm pretty sure it asked if I wanted to block notifications from preparedforweather.com and I said yes. Beyond that, I am clueless.

Ok, here is where my ignorance really shines... I don't know. I was so excited when I discovered that holding my finger on a notification gave me options, like block, I didn't pay any attention. I'm pretty sure it asked if I wanted to block notifications from preparedforweather.com and I said yes. Beyond that, I am clueless.
Did you block notifications? If you did you should be able to check what apps you blocked in the "Notifications" settings.

Thank you for telling me how to find it. I wondered why my Nexus was so quiet, kinda nice actually. When I blocked the notification, it blocked Chrome, not the sender. I have unblocked Chrome, so these should start rolling in any time.

When one arrives, what would you suggest I do?

Thank you again.

Back
Top Bottom