• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

I need a developers help/advice please

crisiscorex

Apr 22, 2011
Hey everyone im trying to learn how to program an application for android, an emulator to be more specific

so my question to all of ya are:

what tools do i need?
what pc language do i need to know?
where would i get started (where did you get your programing experience from)?
or
where is their a good place to start at?

For an emulator you will need to know a lot of straight up C would be my guess.

Current gen console games are programmed in C++, previous gen such as the Game Boy Advance had games programmed in C.

You'll need to know some Java but that will probably be the easiest of the work. An emulator is no easy task. I would think you may need some Assembly knowledge as well as knowing how to hack games by decompiling and hex editing. It's a huge project an not recommended for beginners. You'll also want some knowledge of graphics systems like OpenGL ES.

Emulator - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Upvote 0
This is going to sound harsh, but quite seriously - if you need to ask these kind of questions, then you shouldn't bother trying to program an emulator.

Unless you are a programming guru, the first thing to do when you work with a new language/platform, is to make something simple and easy (there is a reason why "Hello World" is the de facto starting example for every platform). Start with that and work up. developer.android.com is the number 1 resource.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones