• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help I need some consultation from Transform users..please help

AbuAnas

Hello there guys from California...my name is Jaffar....

So I just upgraded from a stone age samsung device. I really wanted to get a smartphone because I wanted to browse the web and download apps, so I picked up the transform. And man, that old school phone didn't give me as much problems in 3 years as this phone is giving me now within a week and half of upgrade(go figure...its really a computer not a phone, anyways). The phone is buggy...sometimes the screen is not responsive..and yesterday I had to reboot it because it became unusable to the point I couldn't even make phone calls!

C'mon, samsung. An 800 mhz processor and 256mb ram I believe should hold up, its not that behind the snapdragon 1 gig processor, this is really frustrating. i barely have anything on there....
When it froze on my arse..i was running launcher pro, yahoo messenger, and skype...and browsing the web...wtf...and whats up with the RAM..whats eating up my RAM? I barely have any RAM available for myself....

Now I understand that with this kind of technology its trail and error for the user. Its like a computer and you have to tweak it a bit and troubleshoot it. Maybe it could be badly coded apps...or anything. Or maybe it was charging at the same time and I was using it heavily and the hardware couldn't take it anymore..it could be anything...but cmon...give me some more speed from a 2010 device..samsung....

So my question is....
Should I stick with the transform for another two years and just try to deal with the hardware that i have ( because any phone will require troubleshooting over the long run), or save myself the trails and what not and get the EPIC 4g which comes with better hardware.....?

Then again I could just go with HTC...
I'm lost...
Thanks guys...

I guess if I do keep the phone, I'll probably have to ROOT it, but that's sad that I have to go through the long process of ROOTing and installing custom ROMS just to get this piece of shit to work right.

Get rid of it while you have a chance. Two years is along time - pay the extra money a get a better phone, Epic, Evo, Shift. Save your self the aggrevation.

[TheAndroid];2672739 said:
I'd suggest an Evo. You can get em' for a good price and its well worth it.

Thanks for the advise guys. Hey Andriod, Andriod Asistant (app) sais I only have 160mb ram. Isnt this thing supposed to be 512 or am i missing something

Get rid of it while you have a chance. Two years is along time - pay the extra money a get a better phone, Epic, Evo, Shift. Save your self the aggrevation.

Its either the epic or the shift because I dont like phones without the hard keyboards....

Yeah man, Ive been dealing with minimum requirement get by computers all my life. i want my smartphone to stop coughing and blaze through my punishment...
When the transform works, its ALRIGHT, but when it ****s up....its really frustrating. I almost threw it against the wall...

Its either the epic or the shift because I dont like phones without the hard keyboards....

Yeah man, Ive been dealing with minimum requirement get by computers all my life. i want my smartphone to stop coughing and blaze through my punishment...
When the transform works, its ALRIGHT, but when it ****s up....its really frustrating. I almost threw it against the wall...

I just switched from the Transform to the Epic. I highly recommend it.

I just switched from the Transform to the Epic. I highly recommend it.

Yeah, I really don't know if I can trust Samsung as far as smartphones go because of the Transform. This phone feels like they released it in the early beta stage. I feel like the Epic might be lame as well. What say you?

Yeah, I really don't know if I can trust Samsung as far as smartphones go because of the Transform. This phone feels like they released it in the early beta stage. I feel like the Epic might be lame as well. What say you?

I've had (crosses fingers) no problems after a week with the Epic. I was able to do the one-click-root with no problem. The nice thing about that is you get to keep the stock kernel and still use Titanium Backup and Wireless Tether. The phone is at least 3-4 times as fast as the Transform.

I had the Transform for almost 6 months. It's not really the phone's hardware that's a problem, it was the forced update to FroYo that caused problems. My phone ran well before it, crap after it. I own/owned other non-phone products from Samsung and have never had any issues.

I've had (crosses fingers) no problems after a week with the Epic. I was able to do the one-click-root with no problem. The nice thing about that is you get to keep the stock kernel and still use Titanium Backup and Wireless Tether. The phone is at least 3-4 times as fast as the Transform.

I had the Transform for almost 6 months. It's not really the phone's hardware that's a problem, it was the forced update to FroYo that caused problems. My phone ran well before it, crap after it. I own/owned other non-phone products from Samsung and have never had any issues.

Ill never trust Samsung with another one of my phones. Next time I'm getting an HTC with Cyanogen, now thats a party right there. I can land a brand new EVO for 250 and a Shift for maybe 275. By the end of summer Ill perhaps have an EVO or a Shift.

Man 600 posts. All in the Transform section. Is there a medal for this type of achievement? X]

Two good articles on low priced smartphones.

Why Midrange Android Phones Aren't Worth the Sacrifice

What You Should Know about Buying a Sub-$100 Android Phone - Tested

"Good thing that they didn't post the Samsung intercept, or I would have wept for all user lured into that disaster of a phone.

Also, this post really only talks about processor speed as being THE deciding factor, which is certainly untrue, RAM definitely takes a huge, if not equal, part in deciding of getting one of these

Take the Samsung Transform and the intercept, both boasting an 800Mhz processor, which actually seems really good, until you truly have first hand experience with those phones, and also their spec sheets.

Both the Samsung Transform and Intercept: 800MHz processor, but only 256MB of RAM. You might be saying, so what? Well, theses phones need at least around 200-215MB to run the basic services on the phone, which causes the multitasking to suffer HEAVILY. It is almost impossible to run more than 2 of your apps (other than native services) without a ridiculous slowdown. And widgets? Forget about it. Those can be even more taxing on memory. Also, the phone app on these phones is the worse thing of it. Nothing like owning a phone that is almost impossible to make phone calls on. The app can take 5-20 seconds from launching it to actually get to the dialpad, and if you get a call? The app might not ever show up until you're phone stops ringing and hit voicemail.

Seriously, both of these phones are like trying to run Vista or Windows 7 on a computer with 1GB of RAM on a single core CPU.

So after I owned that piece of garbage, I picked up an Optimus One, and man, what an improvement! Only a 600Mhz clock speed, but RAM is double to 512MB, which is a a difference between having an usable phone and an unusable phone.

Overall, if you're getting one of these, go with an LG Optimus One model. Don't make yourself suffer with a Samsung sub-$100 android phone."

Thanks for replying guys....after playing around with this phone I've realized that it can be managed but with some effort on your part. Because right now I only have like 25 points of RAM left over, and thats about right for the phone to run properly. I don't know how this phone ran before FRoyo but if they knew they were gonna mess up the update they should have left it at 2.1. I don't need froyo if its gonna tax the performance of my phone. 2.1 wasn't stoneage.

Is there a way to go back to 2.1 or better yet.....or install 256 megs of more RAM. And yeah, my brothers lg omptimus with the 512 mb of ram is wayyyyy faster then my phone. It has six times the RAM available.

What sold me to this was the front facing camera and the keyboard. I learned how to use the transform, but I want more power, and im willing to give up video calls for the evo shift.

If this phone had 512 mb of ram. It would have been perfect. I guess a front facing camera and LED flash come with some sacrifice on a midrange phone, but whats the ****ing use samsung if my RAM is on its last leg.

[TheAndroid];2687673 said:
Ill never trust Samsung with another one of my phones. Next time I'm getting an HTC with Cyanogen, now thats a party right there. I can land a brand new EVO for 250 and a Shift for maybe 275. By the end of summer Ill perhaps have an EVO or a Shift.

Man 600 posts. All in the Transform section. Is there a medal for this type of achievement? X]

Wait until the winter to get a new phone and get the EVO 4G 3D :)

Wait until the winter to get a new phone and get the EVO 4G 3D :)

Your pretty hung up on that phone aren't you Cooper? Haha, I won't be upgrading until the summer before my Junior year of highschool, but does that matter? No, Ill be buying whatever phone I want off Ebay and Craigslist. :)

Haha, it sounds pretty cool. I'll be a sophomore in high school next year. And I'll get like 9 more college credits :D.

Back
Top Bottom