• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

I need your guidance guys, please :) Java/ android

Hi to everyone,

I have recently started to study Java with the final aim to master apps development for android. Since Java basically is my first programming language (php doesn't count), I faced some difficulties at the very beginning. Of course I did some research and found significant amount of information which I was looking for, but I am still not sure that I am on the right way.

Could you please help me with the following questions?

1) Basically the first thing I need to know is Core JAVA, right? well, I have started with online java courses on Udemy, a Horstmann Java tutorial and some additional web sites like oracle and tutorialspoint.

However:
As I don’t have enough experience in coding, therefore I definitely need more practice. The book and web resources which I have mentioned, don’t really offer any practical programming tasks. Could you please recommend me some resources or maybe books which can help me to practice?

2) Probably some of you could also give me general recommendations on how to develop oneself in this sphere in the most effective way possible… that I don’t spend too much time on things which are not even relevant you know. :)

My goals so far is to find a job as a junior android developer, that’s what I am preparing myself for now.

If my questions sound dummy for you, sorry guys, I am just in the very beginning of this way.

Thank you all in advance!

Reactions: wseng92
Hello Cyber Philip
I have been trying to learn android java for about a year in my spare time, i have done some other programming in visual basic.

I am at the stage now where i am begining to understand the whole structure and can write code that will work after fixing all the bugs.

I suggest you get headfirst java, and work all through the book, then with a basic understanding of java you will be able to work through 3 more books. Headfirst android development, Android app development for dummies, and the big nerd ranch guide Android programming.
Check that the latest edition of these books is not for Kotlin, a 5 year old book will teach you most of what you need to know
The best way of course is to be taught by somone, so if you can find somone to help explain to you. Brilliant.
All the best
Longjohn

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones