• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

I upgraded to the Samsung Conquer 4G from my LG Optimus S

JoeSero

Lurker
Hi All,

Just wanted to share my experience with the Samsung Conquer 4G. Previously I had the LG Optimus S, which was a GREAT phone. Unlike most people on this forum, I dislike large and heavy phones. I want my phone to be small and under 5 ounces. The summary is that the Conquer is awesome, and a big step up from the Optimus S.

I am not available for a phone upgrade for another year, so I needed to buy on Ebay. I got the Conquer for just under $200, brand new in box with all accessories. I did NOT go with the Nexus S 4G like most people would expect. The reason is because of the antennas and the signal quality for both data and voice. I've read tons of negative reviews from people who have dropped calls all the time with that phone. On the other hand, the Conquer reviews said that the phone was awesome in terms of call quality and signal.

Here is why the Conquer is better than my old LG Optimus S
- It has 4G speeds. Last time I tried I got 6mbps down and 2mbps up.
- The camera has an LED flash.
- The phone has an LED charging/status indicator.
- The screen is larger. 3.5-inch versus 3.2-inch. I think the screen looks awesome. It is nowhere near as good as SAMOLED on the new phones, but in direct sunlight this screen is much better and brighter than those SAMOLED.
- 1 Ghz processor versus the 600Mhz processor on the Optimus. The phone is much quicker and snappier than the Optimus, even though the Optimus was quite fast already.
- Support for Flash video.
- The bootup time and shutdown time are extremely fast compared to the Optimus.
- The phone is lighter than the Optimus (although slightly taller). Unbelievably, it only weighs 4.2 ounces.
- I tested the GPS and did the voice Navigation to several places while driving, and everything worked perfectly. Same as the Optimus, which also worked perfectly.

Summary: If you have the LG Optimus S and you want a new phone that is faster, lighter, has an LED flash for the camera, has 4G speeds, and a larger screen, then pick up the Samsung Conquer 4G.

Note one major drawback: I don't see any community support whatsoever for this phone, so if you want to Root the phone, then the Conquer may not be good. But if you keep the stock firmware, then this won't matter to you.

Can you do free Tether like on the Optimus? Well you can on the Optimus V don't know if could do it on the Optimus S.

My Experience is this:
With Optimus S non-rooted, you don't get any free tether or free WiFi hotspot. However PDANet can give you free tether if you buy it once for $15.

Samsung Conquer stock firmware :
Free tether : NO
Free WiFi Hotspot : NO

But if you pay $30 per month or $1 per day for Sprint WiFi Hotspot:
Tether: YES, works perfectly through 3G or 4G
WiFi Hotspot : YES, works perfectly through 3G or 4G

I'm typing this at an airport on my laptop using Conquer WiFi hotspot with 4G, it's extremely fast.

I just ordered the Conquer from Sprint as an upgrade from my Optimus (which is my first smartphone, and which I love). Sprint offered it as a free upgrade for 72 hours. I was hesitant... I couldn't find much out there about the Conquer, and it didn't seem like a significant upgrade. Your comparison was very useful, and has me looking forward to getting my new phone. Thanks!

I have now had this phone for 3 months, so I want to share my experiences. First off, I stand by everything I said in the first post above. I think this phone is awesome, mainly because it is fast, small, light, and never has any bugs or issues.

However, I now acknowledge the phone's biggest problem, which is the battery life. It is related to the data usage and data standby for 3G (maybe 4G as well). There may be a poor design inside for how the phone searches for data coverage. Here are some facts that may help:

- If you disable 3G/4G data, then the phone will last for over 2 days without recharging.
- If you enable 3G data, the phone will use MUCH MUCH more battery life. I can barely make it to the end of the day on a battery charge.
- I rarely use 4G data because I live in Los Angeles, and the 4G Sprint coverage is horrible in most neighborhoods. When I visit Chicago I use 4G frequently, and it works great in the neighborhoods that I am visiting.

My advice to Samsung Conquer users : If you will be away from a charger for 12 hours or so, then disable 3G and 4G data, and only enable them when you want to do web search or check or email. This is the price you pay for having an inexpensive, small and light phone with a fast processor. I'm still waiting for another small Android phone that only weighs 4 ounces, and has good battery life.

I'd also like to respond to other criticisms that I've heard regarding this phone.
- The phone freezes : This has NEVER ONCE happened to me in 3 months
- The phone reboots : This has NEVER ONCE happened to me in 3 months
- The phone is buggy and has errors and problems : I haven't noticed a single one.
- Battery discharges and then you can't charge it anymore : Never happened to me.

I use the most basic Sprint ID that came with the phone last December. I use corporate email, Gmail, and 2 Yahoo accounts. My phone version info is:
Android version 2.3.4
Build GINGERBREAD.EG15
Hardware version D600.12

Hope that helps.

@JoeSero, I agree, the phone is great for what it is. I have found an easy way to remove the Carrier IQ service from the phone, so it isn't always running in the back-ground. This may help with your battery issues as well. I have just recently done this, so I can't give any great feedback on how much it has extended my battery life. I will follow your advice and disable 3G and see how well my battery behaves by doing that.

If you want to learn how to remove Carrier IQ from this phone, read my thread here - http://androidforums.com/conquer-4g-all-things-root/523079-disable-carrier-iq-conquer-4g-phones.html :)

With Cwm added ABCindicate will give you your phone back by giving you options.....Samsung Conquer owners stand up and tell us what you want!!! Speak your minds...Tell us your thoughts...ignite this forum with information about your phones...find answers...ask questions... :)

Back
Top Bottom