• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root I want to make archives

DeadDude

Android Enthusiast
I am noob. I see others asking for files here.

I was thinking of using Dropbox to host zip files as backups for us.

Is this acceptable?

What files do you need archived?

Yes, I know we should all make our own. But shit happens.

To begin, I was going to archive the apps folder with all the odex and apk files, as individual zips. See thread where contacts.apk + odex was requested.

Mainly asking this as my common sense is lacking in this area.

Thanks!

I got some questions...

1. What is the proper method to make a full ROM image?
Winders AND Linux steps?

2. Whats the problem with copying the apk and odex out (of the apps folder)... and copying them back by HAND if problems arise?

3. Should I do a factory reset and remove my files from SD card before I make ROM backup (so it is as stock as possible?) What information of my own is within the image otherwise?

4. Is this correct? To gain space, I removed updates to system apps, deleted my data, and disabled the apps. RomToolbox says they are frozen. I used the standard system dialogs for all steps- no app, no root needed. I gained hundreds of megs.

5. For the ROM image, should I do this for all apps?

6. Ever used the built-in Huawei Backup? I know it isn't an imaging program. BUT, surely it works swell at backing up contacts, etc. and restoring them?

7. After making a proper backup, if I remove a system app, can't I get it back through the Google Play.Store download? Assuming it is on Play to begin with?
Example: Google Search

And if I am rooted and have busybox installed, will those stay after factory reset?

I have a handful of terminal apps installed also.
One allowed me to make CWM compatible rom zip sans-pc.

I have yet to examine the file itself, but RomToolbox sees it as legit... errors out though since I have stock recovery.

Back
Top Bottom