• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Improve speed of fingerprint scanner

markdoc

Android Expert
Jun 28, 2011
Suburb of New York City, NY, USA
I had briefly mention this in another post. Now I found a new article that backs me up. To improve the speed of the fingerprint scanner on our phones(or any phone) simply scan the fingers you will use multiple times. I did it with my previous phone with a normal scanner and I did the same with my Pixel 6 Pro. I scanned both thumbs 2 times and the speed & accuracy improved. I posted this since I've read that many Pixel 6 Pro phones have slow scanners.
Try it, you'll like it!
Here is the link to the article:
https://wccftech.com/how-to/how-to-make-fingerprint-scanner-faster-on-google-pixel-phones/

The only catch is that my s21 only allows me to store 4 fingerprints. That wasn't a big deal with my Pixel 2 and its rear-mounted scanner, but with the under display scanner of this phone I find I need at least 1 index finger as well as 2 thumbs (if the phone is down on a table it's awkward to use a thumb), which doesn't leave me enough storage locations to duplicate more than 1 of them.

Upvote 0
The only catch is that my s21 only allows me to store 4 fingerprints. That wasn't a big deal with my Pixel 2 and its rear-mounted scanner, but with the under display scanner of this phone I find I need at least 1 index finger as well as 2 thumbs (if the phone is down on a table it's awkward to use a thumb), which doesn't leave me enough storage locations to duplicate more than 1 of them.

The Pixel 6 Pro only allows 5. When I added a third scan of one thumb, the scan of that finger became blazing fast. I was pleasantly surprised. I don't know why they limit the number of fingers? With the GB's of memory, do they take up that much room?

Last edited:
Reactions: Maskman and ocnbrze
Upvote 0
The Pixel 6 Pro only allows 5. When I added a third scan of one thumb, the scan of that finger became blazing fast. I was pleasantly surprised. I don't know why they limit the number of fingers? With the GB's of memory, do they take up that much room?
Fingerprint doesn't take much storage, the reason only 5 fingerprints are allowed to keep in a phone is maybe the scanner can't recognize perfectly more than 5 fingerprints. Also, we're getting problems with only 5 fingerprints scanned! I change my in-display fingerprint once a year on my old Redmi K20 pro and I had no problem with that phone!

Upvote 0
Fingerprint doesn't take much storage, the reason only 5 fingerprints are allowed to keep in a phone is maybe the scanner can't recognize perfectly more than 5 fingerprints. Also, we're getting problems with only 5 fingerprints scanned! I change my in-display fingerprint once a year on my old Redmi K20 pro and I had no problem with that phone!

I understand what you're saying, but why would a scanner only recognize 5 scans? If it can recognize one fingerprint, then the limiting factor should be the memory allotted to store them. The more fingers scanned may increase the time it takes to compare your fingerprint to the ones in storage. Unless there is some bizarre programming involved.
This is my second phone that has a fingerprint scanner. I scanned two different fingers in both phones. Actually, I had more issues with my previous phone's scanner than with the Pixel 6 Pro. Scanning fingers multiple times fixed the issues on that phone. I've read that lots of people are complaining about this phone's scanner; being too slow and needing multiple attempts to work. I haven't had those issues, but found that using more of my fingertip works better than using the pad of my fingers.
Thanks for your input. These forums are great places to share ideas & information. I try to remember what I was like when I started using smartphones. And these forums usually have better information and quicker responses than the phone's support. (Although this is my first Pixel) :thumbsupdroid:

Reactions: Maskman and Hadron
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones