• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Interesting find about battery temp!

Dracconus

Android Enthusiast
May 3, 2012
Well, today I got bored, and decided I'd pop out the multimeter and test a few things with the extended battery I purchased from Metro PCS (2xxx mah)
I tested the voltage, and mah straight from the battery, without the pcb that's regulating it, and lo and behold they're the same on the stock battery, and the extended. Apparently whatever governing chip they're using is doing the same thing on BOTH types of batteries.
SO, me being the crazy ****er I am, I decided to crack them open
The extended battery IS two regular batteries linked together before connecting to the regulator/connector for the phone.
This told me that I could daisy chain all three of them if I wanted to. They wouldn't fit in the case, but that wouldn't stop me.

Well, I linked them together with some 14ga electrical wire I had, and it worked fine...However, as previously stated, it wouldn't work in my case, so there wasn't much point in keeping it that way unless I felt like melting the damn thing to my phone to keep it shut..

HOWEVER...

Upon removing the link that I had created between the negative terminals of the batteries, I accidentally hit one of the mini transformers that's on the phone's connector PCB, and shorted something out (not sure what, just know what happened.)
Sparks flew, and a nice ball of electricity landed on my flame r3t4rd4nt shorts (thanks ARMY!) After that, I re-tested the battery, and everything was working A-OK both on, and off the PCB terminals, and battery terminals.
So, since I've already convinced my local metropcs store to take back three of these phones that have broken, or been broken by me, I decided...screw it, why not give it a shot...
Plugged it in, and guess what...
Running 1.8ghz and same settings as before my battery is now running WAYYYY cooler...I can literally touch the back of my battery directly while playing my playstation emulator and it's barely even HOT!
SO in conclusion...if ANYONE here knows more about direct circuitry, and electrolytic capacitors, and transformers than I do, take a look at these things, and find out WHAT exactly I just did, because I found the key to our phones staying MASSIVELY cooler than they were.

**NOTE**
According to my battery temp widget I'm still running at 32c, but I can assure you this is NOT the case because that's what it told me it was running at when I could barely have the nerve to want to hold this phone at all, much less touch the battery directly.

I'll dig it out of the trash later, and take some pics when my camera's done charging so you'll have some good high res ones to dig out.
BTW, did some stress testing on it last night, and let it run youtube video @1080 via browser @ 1.8ghz and it's still working just fine, and never hit about 32deg...I seriously think the monitors are busted. But I checked it with my infrared thermo I use on my server, and it was saying 29c.

Upvote 0
Well, here ya go, taken as close as my 14MP DSLR could get on focusing correctly.
Thermal I was referring to was a thermometer. I dont' have a thermal cam atm. only one I had we used to use for underwater stuff and it busted last summer. Too expensive to care for replacing in all honesty.
Anyways, hopefully this'll help us figure out what might be causing these batteries to stay so hot.

The reason I'm unsure which one I hit was because when I attempted to pull the metal holding the green cap from the other piece is when it happened, so yeh...

SAM_0326.jpg

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones