• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Internal Storage Data Migration Question

After reformatting a 32GB micro SD card as a internal storage, I had my phone move over some apps and migrate any music/videos I had on the phone's internal storage. Seeing that I had plenty of leftover space, I decided to put on some more music/videos, but according to the phone it seems that these new files are being copied over to the phone's storage as opposed to the SD card.

So I figured I'd have to use the same 'migrate data' operation, only to find that this option was nowhere to be found. Instead, I found this option located on the phone's internal storage, where I was prompted to move the files from the SD card back to the phone, which isn't at all what I intended. But given the current observed behavior, I humored the operation, and checked back to the SD card options upon completion. There, I found the data migration option once again.

Given what I've observed thus far, it seems that in order to utilize the vast amounts of space on this SD card as additional app and music/video storage, I must migrate the latter all at once, which more or less limits the amount of space I can use to whatever free space I can create on the phone's internal storage.

Is there some other way to move files from my phone's internal storage over to the formatted SD card without going through this terribly restrictive migration process?

When you reformat a microSD card as internal, its file system gets reformatted from FAT (FAT32 or exFAT) to ext4 and it gets encrypted. These are significant changes as ext4 is the same file system as your device's internal storage and the encryption key links the card only to that particular device. Once internal, your device's Android operating system merges the card's storage with the internal storage, and it's just the OS that manages it. When you're manually transferring files between the two, you're still using that microSD card as when it was formatted as portable. Either let the OS work the way it needs to (leave the card as internal and don't bother messing with it) or go back to using your card as a secondary storage media (format it back to portable, which will return it back to its previous un-encrypted state using a FAT file system).

Back
Top Bottom