• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Is it possible to install gapps without wiping CM13?

I have CM12.1 nightly installed along with the corresponding gapps. I downloaded both off Galaxy S3 roms. When I try updating the OS, it automatically updates to CM13, which is fine, but I seem to be unable to use any of the corresponding apps rendering the phone essentially useless. Can't go into google play store, can't even pull down the notification drawer. I'm guessing this is because gapps didn't update with the OS? If this is the case, is there a way of wiping gapps and flashing a newer version of gapps without wiping android? The problem is that whenever I update CM12 to CM 13, it automatically updates the set of apps it comes with.

I tried that and every time I try flashing, it fails. The correct package is ARM - 6.0 - pico correct? I'm using TWRP, my model number in SGH T999, It's a Canadian model from Wind if that's any help at all.

not an error code really. Order of events is as follows: Have CM 12.1 > update to CM 13 > "Unfortunately Google play has stopped" over and over and over again > reboot into TWRP recovery > flash gapps 6.0 > Success > reboot system > Unfortunately setup wizard has stopped.

At that point, I have two choices, either report, or press ok. Both of which do nothing and continue to prompt me to press either report or ok. The prompt never goes away and continues to pop up until I hard press the power button and reboot into TWRP again. At which point I re-flash Cm 12.1

After flashing 6.0 Gaaps on Cm13, wipe cache/dalvik before rebooting and see if that helps. Also make sure you have good wifi connection in case play service needs to update.

Setup wizard is part of the Cm13 ROM, might also look for a download to clean flash instead of doing a update from CM12.

I've tried your advice but still having the same problem. I end up at the "Unfortunately Google Play services has stopped" prompt and only have the choice of report or ok. Can't go anywhere from there.

I've tried several different builds of CM13 and none of them seem compatible with my phone. I usually go for the nightly releases because I find they're the most stable, but don't have any luck finding a perfectly compatible build. Every time I try flashing a clean ROM I get "Failed" in red lettering in TWRP. I don't see a whole lot of ROM options for SGH T999.

Yup tried flashing the latest release and got this message in red 'E:Error executing updater binary in zip '/sdcard/Download/cm-13.0-20160524-NIGHTLY-d2tmo.zip' with a nice big "FAILED" underneath :(

Was the CM12 that you have been running d2tmo? What version of TWRP are you using?
Are you on the newest available bootloader/ baseband? 4.3 OH1?

Never owned a T999 but had the 999L for a while running CM12.1 Snapshot. Hopefully we can figure something out

I don't think so. I always keep a rar copy titled 'cm-12.1-20150406-UNOFFICIAL-d2att.zip' in my phone in case of emergencies. Would 'd2att' be what I'm looking for? The version of TWRP I'm using is v2.8.7.0

I'm afraid I'm unsure what you're referring to when you ask me about the bootlader/baseband

I'll try finding a corresponding build that matches my cm 12 and get back to you.

d2att is actually for the AT&T i747 but have seen where it has been used on the t999.
Current TWRP version is 3.0.2-0
https://dl.twrp.me/d2tmo/

If you can get CM12 to boot back up, look in Settings, about device and scroll down to baseband. Should be listed .

Still a little curious about what is listed for your baseband in Settings -About Phone. If you get a chance, post what is there.

OK, was wondering if someone had switched motherboards since CM for i747 worked. Definitely a t999 baseband. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom