• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Is my mic defective?

ZingXao

I'm on my second Nexus 6. The first one I had arrived damaged so I returned it for the one I currently have. So far its great, though I'm not sure if there's a problem with my microphone.

If I attempt to record something in a third party sound recording app, Google Keep, or I record something in WhatsApp, the recorded sound is very low. It's clear, just low, and I have to pump it to full volume to be able to hear it properly.

However if I record a video, the sound recorded from that is great, loud and clear.

Has anybody else noticed this on their Nexus 6? I'm going to try a factory restore to see if that helps, otherwise I'll have to send back for a replacement.

Unless of course other people have this issue?

If it works fine except for 3rd party apps, I'd wager that points to something going on with the software rather than a bad bit of hardware.

If it works fine except for 3rd party apps, I'd wager that points to something going on with the software rather than a bad bit of hardware.

Well I contacted Motrola who said to return it to where I bought it from for a replacement, since they said they hadn't heard of this issue before.

But like I've said, third party apps its quiet (Google Keep it's quiet), built in apps (video recorder) it's fine. Even Skype it's fine.

Not sure what to do. Any ideas how to fix it?

just return it. don't waste any more time over the Internet trying to find a fix.

as I've said, I don't have the issue and I use the same apps you do. consisten quality across all the apps.

other than a factory reset, if it's still acting up, just return it.

I uninstalled WhatsApp and Easy Sound Recorder and just tried Google Keep to make a recording and it sounded a lot better, so not sure what's going on.

I'm past the 14 day return period so might only get a refurb.

Back
Top Bottom