• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Is private apps on Google Play affected by "target API requirements"?

You wont be prohibited from updating, but new users wont be able to find the app on Google Play.

At least that is what I gathered from a quick once over from the link you provided.

Also in that link appears to be another link to take you to instructions on how to make your app compliant so that new and old users can find it on Google Play.

Also think about having the app available on other appstores, because not all of us use Google Play.
(I never get apps from there.)

Upvote 0
You wont be prohibited from updating, but new users wont be able to find the app on Google Play.

At least that is what I gathered from a quick once over from the link you provided.

Also in that link appears to be another link to take you to instructions on how to make your app compliant so that new and old users can find it on Google Play.

Also think about having the app available on other appstores, because not all of us use Google Play.
(I never get apps from there.)

Thanks for the reply. I am a little "locked" to the targetSkdVersion 30 because of a customer. I have to add some dependencies to the app that is not compatible with anything newer than version 30.
I cannot be the only one having this problem because of the dependecies, hopefully the dependencies will be fixed and made compatible with a newer targetSdkVersion soon :)

Upvote 0
Thanks for the reply. I am a little "locked" to the targetSkdVersion 30 because of a customer. I have to add some dependencies to the app that is not compatible with anything newer than version 30.
I cannot be the only one having this problem because of the dependecies, hopefully the dependencies will be fixed and made compatible with a newer targetSdkVersion soon :)
Like I saw from the link you provided, old customers will still find the app, but no updates.

New customers, those who have just found the app, will not be able to see the app at all unless you comply with Google.

That is why I would suggest making your app available on multiple app stores, so that you are not trapped with Google.

You can choose from multiple app stores.

Uptodown is great, and APKPure is also good.
If your app is FOSS (Free Open Source Software), then I would absolutely recommend you submitting it to F-Droid.

Reactions: James_Watson
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones