• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Is there a no-root wifi hotspot w/o monthly fees, for KK RMHD?

Marc_G

Hi folks,

Title says it all. I've got a stock non-rooted RAZR MAXX HD running the recent Kit Kat version that got pushed via OTA. Short of paying monthly fees to Verizon, is there a wifi app that works, without rooting (which apparently isn't an option these days).

Marc

There is one called mobile hotspot and as long as you don't have unlimited data it's available to use all you want since it uses your data

There is one called mobile hotspot and as long as you don't have unlimited data it's available to use all you want since it uses your data

Actually, as long as you don't have unlimited data, the mobile hotspot/tethering is free regardless of what app you use.

If you are unlimited, then your only option is to have root.

Thanks guys. It turns out I already had Mobile Hotspot on my phone, just didn't realize I could use it "for free" on my 2 GB plan. Obviously usage will be limited so I don't go over my limit. However, I currently rarely use even half of my allocation, due to my usage patterns. It will be nice to have the ability to do the occasional hotspot thing.

I had thought this was locked out previously, unless I paid the $20/month or some such.

Thanks again.

I have been on a 2 GB plan for years. Lost unlimited some time ago but never used enough data to care.

Will probably migrate to ATT due to strong ATT signal in the building where I work (due to local repeaters) versus weak Verizon. Wonder if I can keep my RMHD on ATT?

Marc

So, I finally tried to turn on the Mobile Hotspot app. It gave a message of "Checking subscription status" and eventually told me the order could not be processed. Any thought on this? I suppose a call to Verizon is in order...

Talked to Verizon. On my current plan they want $20/ month to let me use hotspot. There are alternative plans I can switch to but I'm likely to switch to ATT due to poor Verizon signal where I work.

Yeah, the new plan I have has the hot spot too. Have not had unlimited here in quite some time. each plan is supposed to be cheaper each time they convince me to switch but in the end seems to cost more per month. I guess there is no surprise there.

To cap off this thread, I've decided to move to ATT. For similar money I'll have a 10 GB plan, no wifi tether fees, and it will work better in the building where I work.

Thanks for all your help, folks.

Marc

Back
Top Bottom