• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

It's so hard to answer the phone!

VeryJoyful

Lurker
Sorry for the rant, but... why does it have to be so dang hard to answer and hang up the phone? Afterall... it is a phone first and everything else second.

Here's a typical scenario:
The phone vibrates, then it starts to ring. I get it out of my jacket pocket and wait for the screen to wake up, but some how just when it does, I hit the search button and now something is covering the stupid-slider-thing. By the time I get the stupid-slider-thing explosed, the call has gone to voice mail.
Or this one...
I'm outside. The phone vibrates and rings. I manage to pull it out of my jacket pocket without hitting the wrong button and the stupid-slider-thing is exposed; but now I've got to get my glove off before I lose the call and without hitting the wrong button. (I've found it impossible to answer the phone with anything but a bare digit.)
Ditto on hanging up after a call. The screen goes dark, so I've got to get my glove off again, shake the phone, slide the keypad down (if I had to use it), and then hope I don't hit another button before I get a chance to slide to end the call. Grrrrr... sometimes I'm not sure I really hung up.

I've seen a couple of apps that replace the stupid-slider-thing with a stupid-onscreen-button (and heard these are glitchy) and also one that lets you "shake" the phone to answer it. Don't know if the shaking is a good alternative to the stupid-slider-thing.

I've used a lot of different cell phones and every single one of them had hardware buttons to answer and hang up the phone. This phone really only has one hardware button (besides the power, camera, and volume buttons). QUESTION: Could that button (the "touch pad/ok key") be programmed to use to answer and hang up the phone?

I may be a little older than a lot of you, but I'm pretty tech savvy. This just seems to be a silly design. The interface is otherwise intuitive. Love my phone except for this one thing (well, and the battery-sucking).

Thanks for listening. Any help will be appreciated and thanked.

Victoria on the U.S. Cellular network
using a Samsung Acclaim (SCH-R880)
Eclair DF10, Firmware 2.1 update 1

I haven't really had that same problem nor do I have a solution for it, but I do have to say that I, myself, have trouble answering my phone calls, as well. I love this phone and the entire Android program, but I really feel like they put so much work into everything else on the phone that they actually forgot to concentrate on the one reason we even buy the thing... the phone part.

Ok, so, my problem...
Whether I'm playing around with my phone or if my phone has been idle for some time, when I get a phone call, the majority of the time. nothing shows up but the status bar, the caller id nor the slide buttons appear. I honestly end up missing about 75% of the phone calls that I receive. Also, if the person calling calls back immediately after the first phone call, my phone will freeze up completely. Everyone I know gets so frustrated with it and so do I. It's gotten to the point that a lot of people will not even call my phone.

I thought maybe it was doing this because I had too much on my phone. So I deleted a few apps and cleaned off my phone. Didn't work. So I got the bright idea one day to completely wipe everything out and start from scratch. Didn't work either. Luckily it works occasionally and making phone calls isn't as troublesome but I would like to know if there happens to be a way to fix this or what could be wrong.

Thanks. :)

I was having this exact same problem until last night. I was just going through my apps and uninstalling a bunch that I don't use. When I got done with that my phone was 10 times faster than I have ever seen it. My GPS didn't work properly before and now it finds me very quickly and is very accurate. I would suggest just going to the market and uninstalling any apps you don't use or just to be safe, uninstall all of them. I was not able to narrow it down to one app that caused the problems so I can't help you any further in that way unfortunately. Hope this helps and good luck!

krusej23,

Thanks for posting about this. I hope people see what you have posted and try it. When I first got my phone I loaded it full of apps because I wanted to see what they were all about. Now that I have figured out which apps I actually use I have uninstalled all of the junk apps that didn't work well or I don't use and the difference in performance on the phone is huge.

Just wanted to say that because I don't think a lot of people consider this when they have problems with this phone and it is probably the number one cause of their problems in the first place.

Granted there are a few legitimate problems(random search) that aren't fixed by this but if you are just noticing the phone is running sluggish deleting all the junk apps is usually all you need to do.

Clean up your phone people! It makes a huge difference.

Thanks!

Actually, I don't find the "delete your apps" suggestion to be very helpful at all. I don't have a lot of apps. I have a phone that is supposed to be capable of running apps AND being a phone. If I'm on Facebook and someone calls me, I should be able to answer the phone. When a phone call ends, it should bloody well end. If I need to make another phone call immediately, I shouldn't have to wait for the call ended screen to go away and the eternity it takes for the call log to update. I'm paying all this extra money to have these things. They should work.

Well, the Acclaim is a low end phone. I have two of them. I would head over to SDX and do some modifications. Both of mine run very well.

killa K,

Like Cwill said the Acclaim is a low end Android phone. You paid much less for that phone than you would have for a higher end Samsung or HTC.

That being said I haven't had any issues answering incoming calls. I notice some delay before the answering screen comes up if I am using a very resource intensive app like my DISH remote access app. I don't use facebook so I can't speak to any performance issues while using that app but I use plenty of others and have received calls while using almost all of them and haven't noticed any significant issues.

The end of call delay has varied greatly for me since I started using this phone. I found at certain times when I had serious delay at the end of a call I ended up deleting a particular app and this problem went away immediately. I do have a theory on this but I haven't really researched it much. I have noticed certain apps that I have downloaded in the past seem to want access to phone call status(not the official term). I have been wondering if these apps aren't causing the delay in the call log update because they are constantly trying to figure out if you are on the phone or not. I might be way off on this theory but since I have seen varied amount of delay at the end of calls throughout the time I have owned this phone I have to wonder if that might not be a contributing factor.

I have also seen vast improvement on this for a sustained period just after shutting the phone down and pulling the battery.
As of right now I am noticing a slight delay in the call log update but this isn't more than 2 seconds and I have been able to deal with it. I also haven't shut my phone down or pulled the battery in over two months so maybe I should try that again.

If you are still inside of 30 days of owning the Acclaim from US Cell you can take it in and get something a little more powerful if its in the budget. If not then like some of us on this forum you might have to experiment to find what works for you.

Good Luck

Back
Top Bottom