• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help JPG added "Location" attribute to Download folder

Mkemc

Lurker
Was looking at images online for Far Cry. One image immediately started downloading instead of opening in the browser. Afterwards, the phone experienced some slow-down and now my 'download' folder in the Gallery has "Powder Springs, Georgia" written underneath the folder thumbnail. When I select it and view it's Details, this text is from the attribute "Location". How do I remove it and is the phone infected? I cannot install any anti-virus software as the phone's total available memory is less that 10mb, which all the anti-v apps require to be installed.

These are the clearest images I can get, seeing as my phone's camera can't be used to take a picture of itself :P

2hz4mcp.jpg

Your phone is very likely infected.

It's an old trick - looks like a picture but is a download link.

Delete with either your built-in or added on file manager if you have one or by pc connection. Do NOT try to open it and explore it on your pc. Turn off thumbnail creation on your pc.

Find any new jpgs in your download folder.

Uninstall apps until you have enough space to install a scanner. I recommend Malwarebytes.

I installed Malwarebytes but it didn't find anything. A user at StackExchange thinks it's just metadata from the image, but the image was removed so where's this data being read from? Tried searching Download folder android attributes but results are about moving, locating the folder, or changing Read-Only status of Windows files :(.

Back
Top Bottom