• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Jumped the gun and activated WhatsApp on iPhone

Been using WhatsApp on my Android, and I just got a new iPhone and have registered WhatsApp on it with the same number, however, I didn't realize I would lose access to all my old messages on the Android. Can I put in a SIM card using the same number, and re-activate my old WhatsApp on the android and see all my messages again? I just did this today and I realized I need to copy some important text messages. Basically, I'd like to save those messages before I start completely using my new iPhone. I've saved the DB files just in case. I plan on de-regestering Whatsapp on the iPhone first. I want to make sure I am doing things correctly so that I don't accidentally overwrite my old messages (if that is even possible).

thank you for the help.

Been using WhatsApp on my Android, and I just got a new iPhone and have registered WhatsApp on it with the same number, however, I didn't realize I would lose access to all my old messages on the Android. Can I put in a SIM card using the same number, and re-activate my old WhatsApp on the android and see all my messages again? I just did this today and I realized I need to copy some important text messages. Basically, I'd like to save those messages before I start completely using my new iPhone. I've saved the DB files just in case. I plan on de-regestering Whatsapp on the iPhone first. I want to make sure I am doing things correctly so that I don't accidentally overwrite my old messages (if that is even possible).

thank you for the help.

Yes, provided you're connecting the same WhatsApp account and phone number, and you haven't reset or cleared data in the WhatsApp app, all the messages should still be there.

However I don't know anything about transferring WhatsApp data to an iPhone, as I've only used WhatsApp on Android devices.

Portability across platforms has been said to be coming for a long time, but I haven't heard that it's fully there yet. A couple of years back you could find workarounds on the Web but I don't know how well they work.

Just switching the SIM back and re-activating WhatsApp on the android should fix the immediate problem.

Yes, provided you're connecting the same WhatsApp account and phone number, and you haven't reset or cleared data in the WhatsApp app, all the messages should still be there.

However I don't know anything about transferring WhatsApp data to an iPhone, as I've only used WhatsApp on Android devices.

Thanks - yes, the DBs are still there, I haven't wiped anything, I simply just activated WhatsApp on the iPhone with the same number, and as a result, the android version logged me out.Ideally I would just like to just re-log into the App on the Android and have my messages just be there. Means I have to have AT&T activate my Android again and provide me with a SIM with the same number. And from what you are saying, that will work?

Portability across platforms has been said to be coming for a long time, but I haven't heard that it's fully there yet. A couple of years back you could find workarounds on the Web but I don't know how well they work.

Just switching the SIM back and re-activating WhatsApp on the android should fix the immediate problem.

Thanks - yes, I will have to figure out a way to at least save my messages in some viewable/accessible format.

Thanks - yes, the DBs are still there, I haven't wiped anything, I simply just activated WhatsApp on the iPhone with the same number, and as a result, the android version logged me out.Ideally I would just like to just re-log into the App on the Android and have my messages just be there. Means I have to have AT&T activate my Android again and provide me with a SIM with the same number. And from what you are saying, that will work?
I've swapped my SIM back and forth between old and new phones before now, and just logged into WhatsApp each time.

I don't understand what you are saying about re-activating the phone and providing you with a SIM though. If you are still with ATT surely you can just put the SIM in the old phone: that is the whole point of a SIM card (I've never in 30 years "activated" a phone with a service provider, just the card, and I don't tell them when I change phones). Or do ATT actually check the IMEI and not allow customers to use their network unless you've asked their permission to use that handset (technically possible, but most networks worldwide regard that as a waste of effort and money)? Of course if you've changed carriers and the android only accepts ATT SIM's that will be different, but in that case ATT won't be able to give you a SIM with the same phone number (as that number would now be associated with your new account). So I'd be tempted to just try the current SIM in the old phone myself.

I'm having a problem transferring my WhatsApp messages to my new iPhone. This is my first time having changed from Android to iPhone.

Suggest you look at the URL I posted previously about how to transfer WhatsApp from Android to iPhone. Of course I can't provide any more help than that, as the last iPhone I had was 13 years ago.

Back
Top Bottom