• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Just got s5 and prob w/keyboard typing wrong letters

Hi Folks,

Looked at the other typing issues and this one didn't seem like it was covered, so here goes:

When tying to type, if you will notice when you "chose" a letter, in the upper left corner is a "symbol" and so often, when I try and type the letter, the symbol gets typed instead, Eventually . . . :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: I get the letter I want. Happens soooo often when I'm typing a PW and don't look to see what letter / symbol was typed.
Frustrating.
Does / did anyone have / had this problem and found a solution. Would really appreciate it if there is one and thanks in advance.

Also:
Wanted an app that I could use to "hide" my contact list on the phone & gmail. One was suggested that I downloaded & tried and wasn't able to hide the list. It was called "Hide it Pro".

Does anyone know of another app that will successfully hide the contact list?

You all have been soooo helpful and I appreciate everything you've done for me.
FORUMS RULE!!

Thanks in advance,

Ellen

I would check the keyboard settings. Settings <language and input <Samsung keyboard <press and hold delay. I use medium but that might not work for you. It sounds like it might be set to short or custom.

Thanks, have the settings at medium but wonder what the following means:
When I access the KB settings, there are other choices that the explanations given :rolleyes: I don't understand:

Keyboard Swipe

1. SwiftKey Flow
  2. Cursor Control
  3. Flick Input
Can you explain these, it may help :rolleyes: . Sorry to be sarcastic but they "expect" all of us to know the lingo / jargon. Make up a word and well, ya know.

Thanks,

Ellen

Upvote 0
Hi Folks,

Looked at the other typing issues and this one didn't seem like it was covered, so here goes:

When tying to type, if you will notice when you "chose" a letter, in the upper left corner is a "symbol" and so often, when I try and type the letter, the symbol gets typed instead, Eventually . . . :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: I get the letter I want. Happens soooo often when I'm typing a PW and don't look to see what letter / symbol was typed.
Frustrating.
Does / did anyone have / had this problem and found a solution. Would really appreciate it if there is one and thanks in advance.

Thanks in advance,

Ellen

Ellen,

I was frustrated with the same thing, especially on passwords because everything that occurs during a password entry is "accepted" even if it is a backspace key.

I did not get any satisfaction with the OEM keyboard and switched over to SwiftKey. I loved it so much, that I paid for the ad free version.
It has terrific word prediction, you can often type a whole sentence one letter "per word" at a time. Eery it is... but it works.

Solved my problem.

https://play.google.com/store/apps?...medium=ha&utm_term=google+android+apps+market

Reactions: bowzerbird
Upvote 0
Ellen,

I was frustrated with the same thing, especially on passwords because everything that occurs during a password entry is "accepted" even if it is a backspace key.

I did not get any satisfaction with the OEM keyboard and switched over to SwiftKey. I loved it so much, that I paid for the ad free version.
It has terrific word prediction, you can often type a whole sentence one letter "per word" at a time. Eery it is... but it works.

Solved my problem.

https://play.google.com/store/apps?...medium=ha&utm_term=google+android+apps+market

Yo AZ,

Thanks, downloaded it and trying it. Works so far. KB choices is a nice plus. Typed a PW and the letters were correctly selected. WEEEEE!

Again,
TENX!
Ellen :D ;)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones