• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Just Joined

hokkers999

Oct 24, 2012
UK
Joined as my provider is pushing me towards a Galaxy S3 but I am resisting because of all the rubbish that comes pre-installed.

Trying to find a way (before I commit to changing) to removing everything from the phone so that all that it can do is the following

Make phone calls
Send/Receive Text messages
Connect to corporate exchange server

Welcome to the forums, Hokkers! :D

Well, that's a pretty short list for a smartphone of the S3's caliber... you may want to check out the S3 forum and ask there. I could be wrong, but my guess is no: simply because of the TouchWiz skin on the operating system. It's designed to be a hub for information and media. And I don't know that you can selectively limit data like that.

Here's the forum you want:

Samsung Galaxy S3 - Android Forums

There is a separate one for Verizon, so choose which one applies to you :)

Reactions: hokkers999
Upvote 0
Welcome to the forums, Hokkers! :D

Well, that's a pretty short list for a smartphone of the S3's caliber... you may want to check out the S3 forum and ask there. I could be wrong, but my guess is no: simply because of the TouchWiz skin on the operating system. It's designed to be a hub for information and media. And I don't know that you can selectively limit data like that.

Here's the forum you want:

Samsung Galaxy S3 - Android Forums

There is a separate one for Verizon, so choose which one applies to you :)

Yep, nice short list, it's a work tool, nothing else (for me anyway). That's why I'm not really sold on changing my current phone.

Music? - what the stereo is for.
Video? - what the tv is for.
Social Media? - I have a life :) it's called getting out in the real world.

Just from what you said sounds like my initial reaction to stick with my old trusty Nokia is probably the best thing.

I'll head on over to that forum and see what I can find out.

Thanks for a swift response and not sounding off like "what, are you crazy? the phone does way more than that" as was the reaction I got on another forum.

Upvote 0
No, we realize that with a million members, there are a million different ways that people want to use their devices. We respect yours as well.

You MIGHT find that the S3 opens up new doors for you as far as getting instant information on anything you can imagine... but if you experience that and decide you still don't want all the bells & whistles, that's fine too. We're here to help you regardless of how you want to use your device. That's your business. Our business is to help you use it that way as best you can :)

Reactions: El Presidente
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones