• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

(K013 ME176C/X) Duplicate Mac Addresses

ntoupin

Lurker
Hi,

I have a bunch of ME176CX Asus Memopad 7's that I wanted to be identical with their settings, apps, etc. and also have a base "image" of that for if I needed to restore it over time.

I rooted them all (Android 5.0.), installed TWRP on them all and then customized one to be exactly what I wanted - removed bloatware, got the settings to what they needed to be, etc.
I then backed up that tablet and restored it on the rest. They are working fine and everything is as expected except with wifi.

The tablets now all have the same identical MAC address and because of that are all attempting to grab the same DHCP ip address and are constantly knocking each other off by duplicating the IP.

I looked around and found that the mac address on other android devices is defined in nvram.txt in /data/misc/wifi however that does not exist on these.

I'm assuming it has to be defined somewhere as otherwise they wouldn't all have the same Mac... and essentially wherever that is being defined is where it could be changed to either revert back to their old Macs or just create new ones.

(Setting them to static ip's is not an option, I need their macs to be different)

While tablet is running with wifi off I can change /config/wifi/mac.txt to a be a new mac, and turn wifi on and it will change it. However upon reboot this gets reset back to that original mac address.

Back
Top Bottom