• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [KERNEL] DamianGTO Ultimate kernel (version 1.3 Beta 3) **2011-04-09**

**** DamianGTO Ultimate Kernel Version 1.2 ****

This kernel will be used with Ultimate ROM and in many more roms.

The DamianGTO Ultimate Kernel V1.2 has the following features:

- Ext2, Ext4, Jfs and rfs file system support.
- Backup/Restore.
- Root (installs Busybox 1.19 and superuser).
- Theme support with cwm update script.
- 345MB RAM.
- Optimized kernel tweaks.
- Low memory killer minfree settings (24MB, 32MB, 46MB, 60MB, 80MB or 92MB).
- Deadline schedueler (Optimized).
- Tiny RCU( less memory footprint).
- lowmemorykiller patch.
- Support for bootanimation.zip.
- Made from froyo 2.2.1 source code.
- Initramfs from JS8 kernel.
- Android logging (Turn on or off).
- Voodoo sound V6.
- Full CWM recovery with alot of extra options.
- Touchscreen sensitivity (Low, Default, high, super high)
- OverClocking (OC) 1200MHZ
- Under Volt (UV) (25,50,75,100 or 125)
- Underclocking (UC) 800MHZ
- CIFS
- TUN
- Sharpness fix (Mild)
- Boot animation fix for fuguTweak.
- Fixed 3G video chat for the stock program.
- Tweaked EXT4 to get it faster. It still has journal.
- 2 more low memory killer settings (80MB and 92MB)
- Rewritten some drivers

Now you can only convert all to RTS, EXT2 or EXT4.
If you want to use loops or different file system on Data, cache and dbdata you need to use the advanced option.
JFS is still there and its only to support if you do have that before you did flash this kernel. But I don't recommend to use it.

************** UPDATE **************

Ultimate Kernel v1.3 Beta 3 has these addons:

- 1120MHZ and 1280MHZ OC frequency is added.
- Voodoo sound v7.
- Speed tweak on sdcard. Great for small files.
- Market fix so you can download file bigger then 30MB.
- Added support for control the kernel setting from a android program.
- Support added for free UV control.
- Changed UV table settings.
- 340HZ
- Changed frequency steep to 8
- added a Version file at /system/damiangto/version

To make the change in kernel you can now use Ultimate Kernel Control.
With Ultimate Kernel Control Pro you can also change UV settings how you like it.(Comming soon)

Change from beta2;
did change the kernel from 600HZ to 340HZ and hope that will give a smoother GUI. This setting is done for the screen use 68HZ and 340HZ is better for that frequency.

Have also changed how the cpu is steeping. Now it steep 102MHz instead of 64MHZ. This shoulde give a more even steeping and smoother cpu frequency changes.

Did also put version information in the /system/DamianGTO/Version
so you can see what kernel you run on.

**** Wish list and ToDo list ****

I will look into this things when I get time.
So there is no need to ask about them.

- GingerBread (version 1.0) (In work)
- System with other file system
- And more things if I find any useful.

*** Information ***

First time you use this kernel and you use the recovery you will get error message about missing file.
This files will be created when you choose an option and the massage will not pop up anymore

The low memory killer minfree settings are:
Option 24MB -> 6MB, 8MB, 16MB, 20MB, 22MB, 24MB
Option 32MB -> 10MB, 16MB, 20MB ,24MB, 28MB, 32MB
Option 46MB -> 10MB, 16MB, 24MB, 40MB, 44MB, 46MB
Option 60MB -> 1MB, 2MB, 4MB, 40MB, 50MB, 60MB

Make SURE you do a fresh BACKUP before you even think of using this.
This OC is set at 1200MHZ. That's 200MHZ over stock.

If you want to use OC you need to go into Ultimate options and then CPU frequency options and choose 1200MHZ.
If you want to use UC you need to go into Ultimate options and then CPU frequency options and choose 800MHZ. This will save you more battery.

If you want to under volt (UV) then you go into recovery and choose Ultimate options and then CPU undervolt options.

There you can choose this.
Default, 25 undervolt, 50 undervolt, 75 Undervolt, 100 undervolt, 125 undervolt.
Try 1 step at the time. Begin with 25 undervolt.
If your phone freezes anywhere then go back one step.
Check a variety of apps and see if it's stable.
Try a benchmark and a game to see that the phone can handle the lower voltage.
Dont forget to try the phone in idle mode.
If all worked you can try next step.

All change is done in recovery for safety reasons.
If your phone freezes you can always change it back in the recovery and start the phone as normal.

WARNING: Dont use ANY program/script that sets OC/UV/UV or memory settings.
You will loose the ability to use the settings in the recovery and you can be in big trouble if you have a file thats loads every time and make the phone freeze.
I have done some things to prevent this in v1.2+, but I cant know all program that mess with these settings. If you still use them, then DON'T complain to me.

If you want to use CIFS, Android logger or TUN you need to go into Ultimate options and then Kernel options and turn them on. Default is off.

TIP:
When flashing a new kernel/rom your battery indicator can be very off.
This means that you can have zero battery drain or a huge battery drain at the beginning.
Let the phone go through 3-5 complete charge cycle to make the battery indicator more accurate.

Use titanium backup for making a daily backup of your programs.
Also make a backup in recovery daily so you always have a fresh backup.
If you do this you are 100% safe if something happens to your phone.
Also make sure you DONT run out of space on your sdcard.

If you shall change file system then do a backup in the recovery first.
This way you do have a working backup if something is happens with the conversion.
Even if the conversion make a backup its not 100% safe.
But if you did a backup before you converted its very easy to fix any problem
that you can get.

**** FAQ ****

BLN related questions:
Q: Is BLN enabled in the kernel?
A: No it isn't. For reasons stated many times now I didn't enable it and never will. Use NoLed.

Sharpness/color related questions:
Q: Why don't you have the same sharpness and color fix that Hardcore uses?
A: Because I don't like the way it looks. I like the color bright and the text crisp, not over sharp and blurry.

This is my other projects:
Damian Tweak
Gingerbread Tweak

**** NEWS **** NEWS **** NEWS **** NEWS ****
I have made a program to change many settings in the kernel.
This program change many things in real time and save the settings so they are used next time you start your phone.
This is a great way to control things and make change you want to use.

If you change Android logging, CIF or TUN you need to restart the phone.
All other settings will be used after you push the button. It will also save this settings so they will be used next time you boot the phone.

GameMode is a special setting that only work in real time.
This mode let you choose what frequency the CPU shall not go under. This is great for games. It make them smoother and reduce lag.

Low memory killing is a setting that let you choose when background program shall unload from memory.
This give you an option to choose if you want many program in memory so they start faster if you use the program often.
Or to make more memory for the program you running the front. This is often good for very demanding game or program.

Under volting is a great way to save battery. You have many level you can choose to get the best setting your phone work with.

Over clocking is a great way to get more power out of your phone and make it faster and smoother. Its also great in games to make them smoother and faster.

Under clocking is a way to save more battery. If you dont play heavy games or very demanding program this is a great setting. Most of the time you will not notice that the phone is less power full.

This program is for DamianGTO Ultimate Kernel v1.3+
You can get the Ultimate Kernel Control here

Credit:
Sztupy for the recovery source code.
And everyone else I learned from.

The usual beer fund:

Attachments

• DamianGTO_Ultimate_kernel_V1_2__600HZ_CWM.zip
    6.7 MB · Views: 371
  • DamianGTO_Ultimate_Kernel_V1_2__600HZ.zip
    6.6 MB · Views: 317
  • DamianGTO_Ultimate_Kernel_V1_3__BETA_2_600HZ.zip
    6.6 MB · Views: 393
  • DamianGTO_Ultimate_kernel_V1_3__BETA_2__600HZ_CWM.zip
    6.7 MB · Views: 755
Upvote 0
I was using this kernel before moving to gingerbread and it was really kicking a##es...

scored 2200+ at quadrant (now 1600 and 1700 with gingerbread)

OC 1280

I'm sure Damian will do the same thing with gingerbread version soon :D

banner-1-7.png

Upvote 0
I've tried multiple Kernels before.... DGTO's kernel (this one) is hands down the best there is. This is why All his users, including myself, migrated with him here...
=]

Thanks. Well I do alot for my users;)

I hope you are allowed some kind of mod status on here to keep the morons away :) Looking forward to the future of this and the GB kernel, many many thanks for sticking with it and working with us ;-) Cheers bro

I have asked the forum owner so I wait for the answer. I also asked for some sub forum. Maybe some other developer will follow. I know one that might come if this is solved. :)

Just want to say Hi.
The best sgs kernel.
Thanks Damian

Thanks.:eek:

just enjoy it and this fine place :)

Reactions: silashack
Upvote 0
wow..everybody seems to have their 1st post here :D

Yes its seems that way..

Soon i will post a new beta.
I will add some tweaks. I will also test a new HZ value to see if it will be smoother or not.
Someone did give me a link to Linus sad about it and i have wonder if it still 600HZ that works best or if I shall try a new one. This one I will try i have not seen anybody use, so it shall be fun.
But i need to flash back froyo.. lol

Upvote 0
using your 1.3b2 with ultimate 8.2 excellent combo!.oc 1280 ext2 no loops uv75.cheers for all your dev work been using ultimate kernal since 1.1gold.im on 2nd charge cycle of flashing 1.3b2 and have slight battery drain.same usage as with 1.3b1 but gone from 2days to about 1.5days.any changes that could be causing this.no other changes since flashing kernal.cheers for any reply

Upvote 0

So by Duh!!!! you mean yes, I assume.

Excellent, that is very good to know. I, like most people, don't really know the process of adding such features we have come to depend on like CWM compatibility and VooDoo Sound to a kernel. Therefore it is reassuring to know that we will be able to continue using Damian's excellent work with the same confidence of interoperability that we have in the past.

Oh, sorry, let me translate that for you...

KEWWWLLLLLLLL!!!!!!

:cool:

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones