• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help keyboard apps

Parshooter

My wife hates her stock Spectrum keyboard. Any good keyboard apps (preferably free) that have bigger keys? TIA

I was using the go keyboard for a while with good success. I had the iphone theme on it, which doesnt really give bigger keys, but spaces them out some. I think imgoing to go back to it. the only issues i had was it seemed like it came with the crap iphone spell auto correct.

I've found uses for Hackers Keyboard (love the arrow keys).

Can you uninstall, or install the Swype Beta on top of the one that comes with the phone? Swype Beta on my other 1024MHz Android is superfast and mostly accurate. I have heard the version that comes with the LGS may not be so good.

Isn't it possible to go to their site and get an upgrade, even if it isn't the Beta?

I've found uses for Hackers Keyboard (love the arrow keys).

Can you uninstall, or install the Swype Beta on top of the one that comes with the phone? Swype Beta on my other 1024MHz Android is superfast and mostly accurate. I have heard the version that comes with the LGS may not be so good.

Isn't it possible to go to their site and get an upgrade, even if it isn't the Beta?

You can install the beta, AFAIK. I've been using SwiftKey X. The accuracy is incredible and there are big keys skins also.

coderaz wrote: I've been using SwiftKey X. The accuracy is incredible

I forgot to mention that I've used SwifyKey X as well and liked it - I'll probably download it onto the LG. just found myself faster with Swype Beta.

... If Amazon would just ship the Spectrum already ... :confused:

Hackers KB allows you to resize the keyboard to suit your tastes, separate settings for portrait and landscape, I use it often when I am tired of Swype messing up on it's guesses of what I wanted to say.

Also gives you the option of 5 row full qwerty in portrait mode, and a button to enter the keyboard settings screen from the kb, for easy settings changes or switching keyboards

a6f84186-6815-f903.jpg

I had seen this post before I received my Spectrum so was ready to change keyboard BUT this is the best keyboard I've used. My previous phone was a Droid X and I always had trouble with keyboard--changed it many times. Surprised and happy. And so far I'm really impressed with the phone overall. Still working on conditioning the battery but I think it will be just like my DX.

ive been swapping back and forth between aitype and go keyboard...

aitype just gets annoying because after a month i beleive you have to uninstall and reinstall to use the suggestions

I got SwiftKey when it was the app of the day with Amazon and I've used it on every phone since then. It's a lot smarter than the stock keyboard or others like Go. I like the punctuation methods in SK better than other keyboards, but many of the differences are subjective and personal.

Isn't that just the ics stock keyboard? If so, it's still using the stock dictionary and engine, which has wonky punctuation rules.

Sent from my VS920 4G

I just found an app called Keyboard Manager (root users) that says it will open specific keyboards based on your phone's orientation.

Sounds like a great idea. I'd like to use Swype in portrait and SwiftKey in landscape. This app should automate that. I'll have to give it a try.

And for those not familiar with Android, you can load numerous keyboards: I have the defaults (LG and Swype), and Hackers, and SwifyKey X loaded. I can choose between the 4 by long-pressing on the input area, selecting Input Method, and then the keyboard.

For me, regardless of orientation, I generally keep it on Swype unless I explicitly want no correction. :cool:

That is funny I turn off Swype when I want correction! Ever since Swype came out of beta it gets 3 out of every 7 words wrong. The HTC Evo stock KB did a much better job of figuring out what I wanted to say. I might switch to swift key, I also obtained it as the Amazon FAotD. It annoys me that all the keyboard don't use the same user dictionary... Usually keeps me from changing keyboards unless I really have to.

I use Swype mostly and switch to hackers for password entry and some web forms. (Swype can never guess "some" ever, it didn't even show up as a choice I can select, my guess is they changed the algorithm for determining finger placement and my fat fingers didn't make the cut... On the original beta's I could Swype in all curves and it got 9 out of 10 words correct. Now I can do straight lines and it has no clue. Also there is no AI monitoring my word usage or Swyping patterns to remember how I Swype specific words.)

You have an issue with the Swype accuracy? I do not. It's generally good 19/20 times.

Two things:
1). Use your middle finger to Swipe (no joke), this lets you see the keyboard, no matter how you hold the phone, better than if your entire palm of your hand obscures it. Trust me on this one.

2). Also, check your settings for this keypad:
Go into Menu | Settings | Language and Keyboard | Swype
a). Click on Show Complete Trace

b). Speed vs. Accuracy: Mine is right in the middle between Fast Response and Error Tolerance. Put your setting there if it isn't.

You can Reset Swype's dictionary there. You might want to do that if suggestions 1, 2a, and 2b don't help.

Back
Top Bottom