• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

keyboard changed language

Joe Potosky

Lurker
Sep 12, 2022
Passing this along. I couldn't find anything like this on a Google search. Maybe someone has run into this in the past. Suggestions always appreciated.

Moto e6.. Android Version 9

The popup keyboard changed language to what looks like Farsi.

Phone is set to English.

Found a contact with an odd name added to my phone address book? Not trying to hide the name, it was that odd. Phone never left my person, other than at home.

Deleted!

Searched for information on the keyboard and came up with Gboard. Uninstalled, rebooted. Re-installed and all is well.

Did a virus and Malware scan. Negative.

Passing this along. I couldn't find anything like this on a Google search. Maybe someone has run into this in the past. Suggestions always appreciated.

Moto e6.. Android Version 9

The popup keyboard changed language to what looks like Farsi.

Phone is set to English.

Found a contact with an odd name added to my phone address book? Not trying to hide the name, it was that odd. Phone never left my person, other than at home.

Deleted!

Searched for information on the keyboard and came up with Gboard. Uninstalled, rebooted. Re-installed and all is well.

Did a virus and Malware scan. Negative.
Okay, do you speak the language? :)

Upvote 0
Ditch all that 'malware' and 'antivirus' crap.
They do nothing good on Android.
Nothing at at all- in fact, they hog resources, slow the device down, and often provide personal information (at best) and/or back doors into your device (at worst) for unsavory people.

Second, use a good keyboard, ie. not G-Board or the like.

There are hundreds of other ones available.

Upvote 0
Are you using the default keyboard that come with your Moto E6, or did you install a third-party keyboard app such as Gboard or Swift?

A lot of keyboards apps include the function to add multiple languages, so in your case even though you've checked your phone is set to English that doesn't necessarily mean that's the same language showing in your keyboard. Most keyboard apps include a hotkey or something similar to toggle between languages -- i.e. with the Gboard keyboard when you have added multiple languages to it there's a little globe icon in the bottom row to toggle between them. But there's always going to be some way to add, delete, or change the keyboard language, could be in the Settings menu of the app or the main Settings menu of your phone (Go into Settings and the upper search bar type in 'keyboard')

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
All good suggestions. Thanks, you guys (gals) are great.

Still don't know how at the same time I picked up an unknown contact.

As for the question, if I spoke the language? No. But familiar with it as spent some time in that part of the world in another time.
Ahhh Well I speak almost fluent Spanish, so was wondering if you did understood the tone of it was just saying :)

Upvote 0
Still don't know how at the same time I picked up an unknown contact.

Which email service are you using? (i.e. Google's Gmail? MS Outlook? Yahoo Mail? etc.)
Along with email that usually also determines things like Contacts and Calendar. As an example, Gmail includes an annoying option buried deep in your Google account settings menus that you need to specifically disable, "Save contact info when you interact with people." It's just another way Google does its data mining (a 'trick' to automatically add contact entries to your list that you don't necessarily even want to save). So try looking in the settings menu related to your email service for something similar. Things like this are now typical, our personal info is the price we need to pay to use 'free' services.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones