• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Keyboard issues, need help from they pros...

pfhjr369

Lurker
I got a new S5 from T-Mobile a few mts ago, not happy AT ALL with performance (speed & freezing issues), but, that's a thread for later. I immediately got the Swype app, like I had on my S4. Before long, it started acting up. Then, I got SwiftKey. I'm big on word prediction. Today, I noticed that some common everyday words (words that are already built in to SwiftKey when you download it) aren't showing up in the word prediction. THIS is a first.

I began to keep a log of which words aren't showing up, but, the list got so long, I stopped! The only common denominator I can see, which is odd, is that mostly any words that are more than 6 character long and words with prefixes or suffixes don't get predicted. Even as I type it in manually, it doesn't appear in the 'word suggestion box' between the keyboard and the text area. Something else odd, certain variations of words MAY be predicted, but, the main word doesn't. Example: standards might, but, standard might not, or vice versa, exclude will be predicted, but not excluded. I'm so used to the method of sliding, I'm lost. If anyone can help, I'd be forever grateful!

Is it a simple uninstall reinstall issue?
Is it the S5 or the apps?

Footnote: Last month, I had a problem with (not sure Swype or SwiftKey) SwiftKey, I think, something similar, but different. Every single word that I'd added to the word prediction dictionary over three months had vanished! THAT'S frustrating! After a week or two of re-adding all of my own personal words, it happened again. I exploded! I forget exactly what I did to fix it, but my words haven't disappeared since.

Never mind to.......whoever was ready to help. I found a solution and it worked perfect. I'll post it here in case it's able to help someone else down the line... For WHATEVER reason, all of the words that were not appearing, although no longer in my SwiftKey app on my phone are only a far as the SwiftKey Cloud.

1) Settings > Apps > All > Swiftkey
2) Click "Clear Cache" and also click "Clear Data"
3) Reboot your phone

[[ *OPTIONAL* if you have root and want to debug this, go to "/mnt/sdcard/Android/data/com.touchtype.swiftkey/files/user/" there will be a file named dynamic.lm - this is your learned dictionary. Note the filesize (<10 kb on a fresh install)]]

4) Go through the swiftkey set-up
5) After you're done, make sure you have an internet connection and turn ON cloud backup&restore again. (This should re-sync your dictionary from the cloud). NO need to learn from sms / gmail or anything else.

Back
Top Bottom