• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Kindle for Android Released TODAY!

Reading books on your phone? Are you guys mad?
When I'm on a commuter train, waiting in a doctor's lobby, etc... it's really nice when you can fire up the Kindle app and read a few pages to kill time. Especially since it sync's with your Kindle Device where you left off so you can take up the book at the point you stopped reading, regardless which device you're on.

Yeah reading a whole book on a small device like a phone would be kinda mad (but I've done it, just to say I did :D ).

Upvote 0
Apart from visiting the Kindle store, is there a way to import a prc, mobi or azw book into the app? I have several books that work on a Kindle for PC app, but when put into the kindle folder on the SD card make the Kindle app force close on startup.

If they work on the Kindle for PC, just go into the Kindle for Droid and go into the archive section. You'll be able to download them directly ota.

Upvote 0
Yay! I've been using the eReader for a couple books. Wasn't thrilled with reading on the phone, but now I love it! Anywhere I am, just pull out the Droid and I'm reading.

But, I downloaded a sample of a book to the kindle for android. It's on the main page of the kindle app. How do I get rid of it now?

Tap and hold the book in question. You should get a drop down list and one of the options is "remove from device." The book goes back into the archive list.

Reactions: beckx020
Upvote 0
If they work on the Kindle for PC, just go into the Kindle for Droid and go into the archive section. You'll be able to download them directly ota.

I don't know how to get them into the archive section - note that these books are not from amazon, they are free books (or converted documents) that just happen to be in the supported format.

Upvote 0
Is there a way to turn off bookmarking on any of the Kindle apps (Android, iPhone, BB)?

Under my Amazon Kindle account, I registered my Nexus One, BlackBerry, my roommate's iPhone, and of course, my Kindle 2. I have this one book that I got mainly for my roommate, but I read it sometimes, too. I don't want either of us to change the "last page read" value, since that is synchronized between all registered devices.

Upvote 0
Is there a way to turn off bookmarking on any of the Kindle apps (Android, iPhone, BB)?

Under my Amazon Kindle account, I registered my Nexus One, BlackBerry, my roommate's iPhone, and of course, my Kindle 2. I have this one book that I got mainly for my roommate, but I read it sometimes, too. I don't want either of us to change the "last page read" value, since that is synchronized between all registered devices.

Hi,

You'd have to turn off synchronization between devices. It's not possible to do it by specific books/ASIN's - visit www.amazon.com/myk

Login to the account that has the devices registered, and scroll to the very bottom of the page. There is a link titled "Managed Synchronization between devices". Click on it and you'll have the option to turn off synchronization.

Again, this is not specific to device or book/content - it is account specific so if your friend has a Kindle and Blackberry they will not sync anymore if it is turned off.

Thanks.

Upvote 0
android 2.1,

and in China.

I tried the QR code from Phandroid , page failed to load as well.
hope its not region specific problem

Sorry, looks like Kindle for Android isn't available for your country at this time.

Kindle for Android is currently available for customers in:

Argentina, Australia, Austria, Belgium, Brazil, Bulgaria, Canada, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, Hungary, India, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Japan, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Mexico, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Philippines, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Russia, Serbia, Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, South Africa, South Korea, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Taiwan, United Kingdom, United States

Upvote 0
not having an option to import books kind of makes it suck compared to other ebook readers.. like FBreader or Aldiko..

Well, when you have a 90% or so market share you can do stuff like make your reader proprietary.

yeah but when you have 15,000+ books in electronic format, it makes it kind of a fail compared to other e-readers.. I can't even upload books in the native kindle format that are on my PC..

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones