• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Last questions before I try rooting

CTB6

I have to try and salvage this phone, so I'm ready to root. However, you guys throw around a lot of terms, etc., that I don't understand, so I wanted to ask my last questions before I take the dive.

1. If I perform all the steps in TheAndroid's [GUIDE] Custom Recovery and Root 2.2 [GUIDE], will I have completed everything I need to have the phone files backed up in case I need to reverse the process? If not, what do I do?

2. Once rooted, what actually enables me to make the phone faster (or in the case of my phone, do anything within 10 minutes of pressing a function)? The deletion of things such as SprintID, etc?

3. I've read in the other posts that my paid apps (and free apps, for that matter) will still be there after I root. Just want to confirm that one last time before I do it.

Sorry for the supernoob questions, but I like to fully understand what the heck I'm doing before I ruin something. Thanks!

I can tell you I was afraid to root my phone but thank god I did it is 10 times better... it still lags depending on what rom or kernel I have but I change it up a lot... that guide it perfect follow it to the letter and you should have no problem... your apps with still be there you will just have to go back into the market an download them again... If you ever change your mind or want to trade in your phone there is a way to flash or unroot your phone and put it back to stock.. you should check out this website a lot of good stuff about it...
SDX-Developers Forum - Index

Good luck

Thanks. I think it's starting to come into focus for me. I read many more things this morning, and I think it works like this:

* First I have to root the phone. That doesn't wipe apps.
* Then I can do a full backup using Titanium since Titanium requires the phone to be rooted.
* After that, if I brick the phone, I'll have what I need to get all my stuff back, if I use the "how to unbrick" guides here on the site.

I'm still vastly confused about ROMs and Kernels. I just want my phone to be exactly how it is now as far as themes/appearance/whatever, but with the added "advantage" of it actually working. I just have a stock 2.2.2 phone, I don't play elaborate games on it, I use Google Maps and MyTracks often, text, and occasional email checking.

I *think* if I root the phone, back it up, then install that kernel from [TheAndoid]'s guide, I'll then be able to remove Sprint bloatware and some other useless things and have what I what.

Does any of that sound right to the experts? You guys talk about flashing ROMs/swapping kernels/etc like it's nothing, but I still don't get what the hell that means. I guess this is why I'm a mechanical engineer and not an electronics engineer/developer... ;)

Back
Top Bottom