• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

LG G3 Camera Discussion-Show off your pictures

I have no idea how the G3 was obtained in order to do this comparison. The Phandroid web site compares cameras - LG G3 vs Galaxy S5 vs One M8 vs Galaxy Note 3 vs iPhone 5s. Clicking on the first set of photos gives an enlarged group.

Camera Comparison: LG G3 vs Galaxy S5 vs One M8 vs Galaxy Note 3 vs iPhone 5s

Note - I am not saying that any phones camera is the best. Please no camera wars!

Upvote 0
I just saw this article on AndroidCentral -- both some pictures and video, and some photos are compared to the Galaxy S5. LG G3 camera samples and first impressions | Android Central

The results are looking very good so far. The video stabilization is fantastic and really sets it apart from the rest. Other smartphones take good 4k video but they can't stabilize it effectively (if at all), which really limits its use.

The lens looks to be a wider angle than the S5, which can be very useful. Plus I prefer 4:3 instead of 16:9 since I can always crop into 16:9 but going from 16:9 to 4:3 would mean losing even more of the viewing angle. The S5 with a 16:9 sensor is quite limited in either the X or Y direction depending on how you have it oriented.

Reactions: SolApathy
Upvote 0
Also note that phandroid's article comes with the pics sourced here: First LG G3 camera samples get compared with the Galaxy S5, One M8, Note 3, and iPhone 5s

I think it's better to look at the larger original ones. One of the big things we see if that LG's software is getting the exposure, saturation, contrast, and focus down perfectly. That, and how OIS can be helpful indoors where you don't have bright sunlight. The S5 is failing in these shots due to motion blur. At least with my S2, Samsung tends to slow the shutter speed down too quickly which results in increased risk of blur with the slightest bit of camera shake.

Edit: I'm still not clear on what sensor is in the G3. Anandtech claimed it was the same IMX135, but AndroidCentral apparently was told it is a different sensor. From the samples, I wouldn't be surprised if it was a different sensor, but at the same time improved software makes a big difference as well.

Upvote 0
I know this thread was created to show off pictures from the G3, but didn't want to start a new thread.

Josh Vergara (Android Authority) did a pretty thorough test on the G3 camera:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJZuORQvIss

For the purposes I'll need, seems just fine for me. The zero/low light pics using flash seem to be on par with what I can do on my Note 3, so it'll be just fine.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones