• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root LG Optimus Exceed 2 (VS450PP) Bootloader unlock tutorial

myfishbear

Android Enthusiast
Sep 5, 2010
NJ
Verizon - LG VS450pp Optimus Exceed 2
-Bootloader Unlock-
What you need:
- a fastboot and adb folder. included in bootloader.zip
- Busybox installed on your device (Found here)
- USB debugging enabled, and the phone plugged in and USB set to ethernet.
- USB Drivers installed (Found here)

Part 1:
  1. Download the bootloader.zip and extract it to your Desktop.
  2. Run laf_script.bat
  3. Be sure to pay attention to the command window to make sure you are not having any problems.
Part 2:

1.) Boot it up in download mode
To do this you should:
  1. Have the device powered down and unplugged
  2. Hold the +vol button
  3. Insert your usb cable while still holding vol + and keep holding it until you get into download mode

2.) On your computer open the "bootloader/bootloader_unlock_part1" folder and press shift + right click, select "Open Command Window here".

In the command prompt:

3.) Be sure that your device is listed.
Type:
fastboot devices
(Hit enter)

4.) Send unlock to device.
Type:
fastboot oem unlock
(Hit enter)

5.)Verify that your bootloader is indeed unlocked.
Type:
fastboot oem device-info
(Hit enter)

Now you are unlocked !
Keep in mind that download mode is now gone, so if you mess it up then fastboot with a KZD file is your only option so install twrp before you get to messing around.

Restore download mode

cd to the directory where your backup of the laf partition is
  • cd ~/Desktop/bootloader_unlock_part1
Push the img to your sdcard
Type:
  • adb push laf.img /sdcard/
Use adb shell & su
Type:
  • adb shell
Type:
  • su
Overwrite the zeroed out partition
Type:
  • dd if=/sdcard/laf.img of=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/laf
Now you have download mode

* MikeHoncho is the creator of this unlock i'm just revising his method for the VS450pp
Credits: junkie2100, PlayfulGod, LoneStar, Cheetopocalypse, bobdamnit, BlastGT1, jonhaney, daddyof3_101,biggiephil
Big thanks to LaDY Vengeance at XDA for the original method on the L90

Original thread by mikehoncho
( http://androidforums.com/threads/unlock-ms323-lg-l70-bootloader-unlock.862585 )

Last edited:
Reactions: jacob019
Thanks for the info! I'm assuming that this works for the LS-620 as well? I went ahead with it and it unlocked the bootloader, but I wasn't able to write my laf back. Or if it wrote back, I wasn't able to boot up into download mode anymore.
Not a big deal I guess with a working recovery, but I like to have a back door or two...

Anyhow, I'm looking forward to trying CM13 out on my realm ;)

Upvote 0
Yea i meant to get to this in the other thread where i asked if it were possible to flash a kdz without a download mode or like a system img on a device where download mode isnt working, But if you restore DL is the BL still unlocked? Sorry for the lame questions I'm still learning alot of this stuff but i gotta say it's kinda fun being able to tamper with these phones sucessfully lol.

Upvote 0
it stays unlocked.
Thanks man I finally figured that part out, but I can't for the life of me push the laf back to it. I put a on internal, external and and on the pc as it was and thats where I'm getting stuck..at the adb push laf.img /sdcard/ ..do I do that in fast boot mode cuz it doesn't read the device unless I type fastboot devices does the lol probably a very stupid mistake in making. Oh the noname Rom won't flash, updater script error.. I made a couple roms work on my ms323 when it worked by removing a certain portion of that update script but idk

Upvote 0
=============================Other credits============================
Android Addict, junkie2100, Cheetopocalypse, biggiephil, bobdamnit, LoneStar, and PlayfulGod.
======================================================================
[*] Moving laf.img to sdcard/Download folder

* daemon not running. starting it now on port 5037 *
* daemon started successfully *
error: device not found

[*] Moving laf.img to computer just in case

[*] Now going to zero out the laf partition

[*] laf partition complete!!!

[*] Proceed to part 2 of my guide now!!!

Upvote 0
@myfishbear Thank you for your tutorial. I have been working at this for a while and maybe you can help me with this problem. Adb driver installs and connects, while phone is booted in Android. When I disconnect to boot into download the Adb driver will not reconnect. I have tried the Adb reboot Bootloader cmd but this only reboots back to Android. I have tried uninstalling all drivers and boot to download, the Adb driver will not install. Yes USB debugging is on. The only thing I can think of is the pc connection setting. Which needs to be set to ethernet while booted in Android for ADB Driver to install. Asking here is a last resort as I like to figure things out (I learn better that way). What am I doing wrong. I'm at a loss. It's been a while since I've thrown anything. The urge is there though.:eek:

Upvote 0
@myfishbear Thank you for your tutorial. I have been working at this for a while and maybe you can help me with this problem. Adb driver installs and connects, while phone is booted in Android. When I disconnect to boot into download the Adb driver will not reconnect. I have tried the Adb reboot Bootloader cmd but this only reboots back to Android. I have tried uninstalling all drivers and boot to download, the Adb driver will not install. Yes USB debugging is on. The only thing I can think of is the pc connection setting. Which needs to be set to ethernet while booted in Android for ADB Driver to install. Asking here is a last resort as I like to figure things out (I learn better that way). What am I doing wrong. I'm at a loss. It's been a while since I've thrown anything. The urge is there though.:eek:

[Solved] Well my bad. I had flashed TWRP with Flashify. When you install a custom recovery it either copies over or erases stock boot.img. So ADB, yes.... Fastboot, no. If it matters I have been testing it with X-posed. Some features work while others don't. I have set Linux to permissive. I have tweaked the kernel in quite a few ways. I just can't seem to brick this device "accidentally". It's a tough little sucker. I am attempting to compile a list of functional mods. Will check in later.

Upvote 0
Hey, I was wondering if you could help me. I completed all the steps up to 3 on Part 2. I'm in the Download Mode, but when I enter the command "fastboot devices" nothing comes up. I have all the right prerequisites done. Busybox is installed, my phone is has USB debugging enabled with it set to ethernet mode, I installed the driver, and I'm using your zip file.
When I run laf_script.bat nothing seems to go wrong. I get:

Bootloader Unlock For The LG L70 Part 1
====================By: Android Addict and junkie2100 ==================

Make sure that USB Debugging is enabled,
and
all drivers are installed
ECHO is off.
==============================Disclaimer==============================
I am not responsible for anything that may or may not happen to your
phone. By using this script, you are taking full responsibility of your device.
=============================Other credits============================
Android Addict, junkie2100, Cheetopocalypse, biggiephil, bobdamnit, LoneStar, and PlayfulGod.
[*] Moving laf.img to sdcard/Download folder

1024+0 records in
1024+0 records out
23068672 bytes transferred in 2.410 secs (9572063 bytes/sec)

[*] Moving laf.img to computer just in case

6121 KB/s (23068672 bytes in 3.680s)

[*] Now going to zero out the laf partition

/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/laf: write error: No space left on device
45057+0 records in
45056+0 records out
23068672 bytes transferred in 3.824 secs (6032602 bytes/sec)
[*] laf partition complete!!!

[*] Proceed to part 2 of my guide now!!!

laf partition script
========By: Android Addict, junkie2100, Cheetopocalypse, biggiephil, bobdamnit, LoneStar, and PlayfulGod========
ECHO is off.
ECHO is off.

Hope you enjoyed this! If you would like to
donate, follow the link in my signature!

And when I'm at the download menu it reads:

------------------------------------------------
DOWNLOAD MODE
------------------------------------------------
Loading .......
Press the Volum Up key untill you see the download screen.
[470] fastboot_init()
[470] Error: allocating memory for ssd buffer
[490] USB init ept @ 0x7aef000
[510] udc_start()
[610] -- reset --
[610] -- portchange --
[750] fastboot: processing commands

Everything seems right, I have no clue why my computer isn't recognizing my phone as a fastboot device. Should I be worried about that error at 470? I assumed where it says "fastboot: processing commands" would mean it worked, but it doesn't show up when I enter "fastboot devices". Help.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones