• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

LG X Power - Make SD Card part of internal storage.

From what I've been reading about Android Marshmallow, it has a new feature that allows for the adaption of SD cards to extend internal storage.

The first time it sees a new SD card it's supposed to offer the option to format and make it an extension of internal storage. Something this phone really needs. At least on mine I could never get it to offer that. I tried doing a factory reset twice but it never appeared.
I've always been on the verge of maxing out my internal storage.

So, this weekend I did some digging and found that some manufacturers are DISABLING that feature!!
It sure seems to me like LG is doing that. Anyone else agree?

But... there's a hack to force the formatting and make it part of internal storage.
And it Works!!!
https://www.androidpit.com/how-to-format-microsd-cards-as-internal-storage?sac=true#comment2380548

Check out this screen grab of my Storage specs. Total storage 45.33Gigs
Capture+_2017-10-15-22-15-52.png

The hack uses the ADB command shell to force the partitioning.
https://www.xda-developers.com/install-adb-windows-macos-linux/
I ran into several stumbling blocks along the way, as this was my first time using ADB, but it finally worked.

The main command is: (sm partition disk: 179.64 private)
But I couldn't get to work for quite a while because the syntax is incorrect.
You must remove the space between : and 1.
The correct command is (sm partition disk:179.64 private)

After doing this hack, now the majority of my apps automatically install on the SD card and so does there data files. I use several music and podcast apps that would not allow me to specify the storage area and I was always maxing out the internal because of them... Now, the apps and the podcasts files are all going to SD storage without doing a thing.

Rob

I did work! THANK YOU for sharing this. I'm new to android dev stuff but I got it figured out after some trial and error. Thanks again! :)

THANK YOU so much for posting this! Made my way to the 2 webpages to get my MicroSD card work as internal storage on my LG X Power smartphone. As I wrote on the AndroidPIT webpage: "For my LG X Power, I needed to select 'Photo transfer' on the phone for the USB cable connection in order for the ADB software to detect the phone as a device and list the disk. The 'File transfer' option didn't work (the 'adb device' command yields no devices). Another important point (as reported by Rob22445566 on Android Forums) is to write the key command as 'sm partition disk:XXX,XXX private' with NO SPACE between the ":" and the disk ID. Finally, for the very last data migration step, the option in the upper-right hand menu for the MicroSD is labelled 'Migrate data' (selecting this then brings up a new screen where you then tap 'Move' to begin the data migration from internal storage onto the MicroSD card. A key document outlining how to install ADB tools on your PC is this one: https://www.xda-developers.com/install-adb-windows-macos-linux/ Being able to use a MicroSD as internal storage is really valuable for owners of the LG K8 (only 8 GB internal storage!) and LG X Power (16 GB internal storage). There are a number of smartphones being sold today that have internal storage capacity of 16 GB and under - this hack really breathes new life into these phones!!"

for my LG, X power 3, I have successfully followed all the steps outlined by Lorien79 above except for the "Migrate data" step. Every time I attempt to select <settings><Storage><SD card> <...> <Migrate Data> I get "Unfortunately, Settings has stopped."

I have attempted to clear cache in "Settings" App.
I have sent everything back to factory reset and re-applied the steps to make the SD Card internal.

Any other options.

Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom