• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help LG125DL and the Apple 4 watch

mnewsome

Writing to inquire...
Was recently given the Apple 4 watch and have read from multiple sources that the watch can pair with other phones. Have the LG125DL and would ask is there "best of class" in seeking such guidance. Have TextFree on the flip phone and want to explore all of the features I can use on the watch
Additionally, would ask if such expertise exists within Android Forums.

Guidance sought

I've not had any experience myself, but apparently the Apple Watch just can't do much if you haven't got an iPhone....
https://www.macworld.com/article/676595/does-an-apple-watch-work-without-an-iphone.html

Can you use an Apple Watch with an Android phone?
No. If Apple doesn’t want the Watch working with iPads and Macs, then you can assume that Android phones are well down the list.

EDIT:
Actually you (sort of) can, but it's rather complex and might be expensive...

Last edited:
Basically you need access to an iPhone to set it up, and can't pair it with the android phone. So you can wear an apple watch while using an android phone, but you won't really be able to use it as a smart watch.

If it's an LTE model you will get a little more functionality, but again it's mainly operating alongside your phone rather than with it.

I've always felt that one of the main purposes of the Apple Watch is to keep Apple users locked in to the iPhone by adding the price of a new watch to the cost of switching.

The only way I know of is to use an LTE Apple Watch (you need an iPhone to do initial setup) and once setup is done, just use it standalone. Enjoy the horrible battery life and limited features though because even in standalone it has less than half functionality as one that's connected to an iPhone.

From experience, apps like Apple Pay, some parts of Health (notifications), Maps, system updates, digital touch won't work in standalone, or break after some time. (Apple Pay will work for x times then want to sync with an iPhone/Wallet app).

SMS, iMessage, Music, Phone, Fall Detection (SOS), Siri, HomeKit support, watch (obviously) setting Alarms, calculator, and others do work in standalone though. But battery life will be 1/3 what it normally is since the LTE radio uses a ton of it when always active.

An Apple watch is basically a flip phone in watch form in LTE only mode. As you already got a flip phone do you really need two?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom