• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Limited user interface problem

Pigmadic

Lurker
Early this morning I decided I had enough with bloatware. I decided to root my phone (Samsung Rugby Smart). So I found this: http://androidforums.com/rugby-smart-all-things-root/523330-tutorial-how-root-samsung-rugby-smart.html

It worked! I installed the Titanium Backup app so I could remove some bloatware. I began uninstalling AT&T scanner, Facebook, Qik Lite, AT&T family apps and what not. All of that worked fine. I felt GREAT! Here's where I think the problem began. After deleting those few programs I dug in deeper. I uninstalled TWT Launcher (Touchwiz). I had GO Launcher EX for my UX, so I thought "what the heck, no biggy". It worked! My Phone didn't ask me if I wanted to use TWT Launcher as my default UX. YES! So I dug in deeper. I went to settings> Privacy> Restore to factory settings. I wanted to start from scratch and then start uninstalling bloatware. I often restore my PC, I figured it couldn't be TOO much harder/different then restoring my PC. I've even TRI-booted my computer before. No big deal right? WRONG! When my phone turned back on I got this...

Sorry!
The application Setup Wizard (process com.android.setupwizard) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again
Force close

(after finishing android setup). At first, I would hit "force close" and the phone would restart but it NEVER got past the AT&T "Rethink Possible" splash screen. I spent a little time with it and finally got past the splash screen by using the Android recovery mode. NOW when I finish the android step up the error message STILL shows up but I have a VERY limited user interface. I MOSTLY get a black screen but I can see the time and WIFI connection up at the top. If I hold down the home button I can get into my task manger. After getting into my task manger the search button will allow me to do a voice search, which opens my browser. It's like it's half working. I can't see a single app on my home page (not to say they aren't there as I can uninstall apps in my task manger). Anyways, when I turn my phone off and then back on, I can't get past the AT&T splash screen AGAIN, so I have to go BACK into the recovery mode. The cycle just keeps repeating from there.

I've spent HOURS researching but I just keep coming to dead ends.
Does anyone know how to fix this problem?

Oh by the way, I backed up my phone using the Google's default backup sync thing and it doesn't help. I tried to go into depth with my explanation here but I'm sure I missed something. Sorry! Just let me know if anyone has any questions or best guesses for answers! THANKS!

I fixed it (no thanks to anyone on here). I uninstalled TWT Launcher using titanium backup (which caused the problem). So when I restored back to factory defaults, TWT Launcher was no longer there so I didn't have a UX. I just used the functions I did have to get online so I could search for GO Launcher. I couldn't used the android market (or Play store) to install GO Launcher because it looks for supported devices. Which my phone IS supported, it's just without my UX the android market couldn't tell which phone I was using. So I downloaded GO Launcher from: Download GO Launcher EX 3.01 for Android Free - Extended version of GO Launcher, one of the most popular home applications. - Softpedia

My phone then asked for permissions. After giving my phone permission to install GO launcher using a unknown source, I downloaded go launcher from the site again. After installing GO Launcher my UX was back and now my phone is working fine.

Why do I even bother sign up for forums like this? I get NO help! Which is funny because I don't even have a high school diploma and I tend to figure these things out fast then the 100s of people on forums just like these. Pathetic!

My only hope is Google bot will pick this topic up and MAYBE my fix will help someone else down the road.

My only hope is Google bot will pick this topic up and MAYBE my fix will help someone else down the road.

Thanks for documenting your experience; I'm just learning about the Rugby, having heard about it for the first time just a few hours ago. I'm considering buying one tomorrow.

There doesn't seem to be much (if any) information about the phone here yet. A quick search seems to indicate the phone was just announced in February; if that's correct, then that must be part of the reason there's little interest in the phone at this time.

Back
Top Bottom